tech question about AHS LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littledavid

Reaction score
does anyone know any staistics about AHS LME, specifically fermentability %, or what the source is? I know the Breiss statistics, for example.

basically, I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting enough attenuation from my yeast. thanks.

I would try sending them an email.

What kind of gravity readings are you getting and with what yeast and extract? If you use the same yeast and extract you can adjust the recipe based on previous results to obtain what you're looking for.

yeah, I suppose an email would make sense. ;)

I'm using their extra light LME, and Wyeast belgian ardennes. I'm letting it finish the job, but I notice that my final gravities don't jive necessarily with other's recipes. a simple example (an experiment) is one batch that had nought but 6 lbs LME and 1/2 lb choc malt (+ hops, naturally)... og 1043, fg 1012. maybe I underestimated the role of the choc malt in terms of residuals.

I love the extract, but part of me is waiting for a bottle bomb despite clear evidence of finished fermentation.

It's a little high but nothing to worry about. It looks like you're getting about 73% ADF. If that's typical sub in some sugar in place of the malt. I would guess you're looking for something closer to a 1.010. So if you're getting 73% ADF the extract portion needs to have a 1.037 O.G. and the rest made up of sugar. Bascially you need 14% of the fermentables from sugar since it will ferment almost completely out.

It's a little high but nothing to worry about. It looks like you're getting about 73% ADF. If that's typical sub in some sugar in place of the malt. I would guess you're looking for something closer to a 1.010. So if you're getting 73% ADF the extract portion needs to have a 1.037 O.G. and the rest made up of sugar. Bascially you need 14% of the fermentables from sugar since it will ferment almost completely out.

cheers. :mug:

this is basically what I'm planning on doing through the use of a) Lyle's, or b) D2 in my next batches, and what I've done recently with honey.

I'm also going to incorporate partial mash techs to up the fermentables in more distantly future batches. the belgians definitely freak techniques to get their attenuation in the 90s, and I'll steal them to help get partial mashes into the 80's.

then I'll be happy. :)

Back