Tea wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deghisagorah

Reaction score
The title says it all,Im still new in the world of tea wine making, I need a reliable for a good old traditional tea wine (planning to use jasmine tea since some people the aroma gives the wine a better taste).

According to the directions, I need 200ml of water per tea bag, which means for 10L (8.5gallons) i need 50 tea bags.

Some say its too many tea bags for 10L some say its just right, what are your opinions?

Oh and the tea bag is the bag with the rope thingy not the round big ones.
images (6).jpeg

I have a recipe for fruit tea wine which may be useful to you?

Fruit Tea Wine

For 1 gallon (4.5 litres):
12 teabags
250g chopped sultanas
Mug of strong black tea
1 kg sugar
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp nutrient
Juice of 1 lemon
Wine yeast

Boil 4 litres of water and pour into sterilised fermentation bucket with sugar.
Dissolve the sugar; add the tea bags and leave to infuse overnight along with 1 campden tablet and all other ingredients except yeast. Wait 24 hours, however in the morning remove the teabags.
Pitch yeast.
Leave for 1 week, then strain into demijohn, top up if necessary. Once ferment has ceased, stabilise and leave to clear, use finings if you prefer, then sweeten to taste.

I assume the jasmine tea you are planning on using is jasmine green tea, in which case you would not need to add the mug of strong black tea.

I have a recipe for fruit tea wine which may be useful to you?

Fruit Tea Wine

For 1 gallon (4.5 litres):
12 teabags
250g chopped sultanas
Mug of strong black tea
1 kg sugar
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp nutrient
Juice of 1 lemon
Wine yeast

Boil 4 litres of water and pour into sterilised fermentation bucket with sugar.
Dissolve the sugar; add the tea bags and leave to infuse overnight along with 1 campden tablet and all other ingredients except yeast. Wait 24 hours, however in the morning remove the teabags.
Pitch yeast.
Leave for 1 week, then strain into demijohn, top up if necessary. Once ferment has ceased, stabilise and leave to clear, use finings if you prefer, then sweeten to taste.

I assume the jasmine tea you are planning on using is jasmine green tea, in which case you would not need to add the mug of strong black tea.
After reading your post, I figured what the hay.... My wife has a bunch of old Teavana loose tea so I grabbed two different flavors and added 1/4 cup of it per gallon added 6 cups of sugar to each ( mix of brown sugar and organic cane sugar ) added some yeast nutrient, Champagne yeast, I am curious about why you added the lemon juice? is it to add some acid to it, or just for flavor?

Attachments

• IMG_6544.JPG
    IMG_6544.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6545.JPG
    IMG_6545.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Hey that looks ace!

Yes lemon for acid, you don’t really taste it at all in the finished article.

holymoly, that Jade Citrus Mint is 14%ABV and tastes awesome!!!!!!! I am going to make a 5 gallon of that one in my large fermenter as soon as my Hobgoblin beer is done using it. Strange thing is I racked it for the second time with an ABV reading of 14% like a week ago and just racked it again same reading and still bubbling... UGH, how can that be???

holymoly, that Jade Citrus Mint is 14%ABV and tastes awesome!!!!!!! I am going to make a 5 gallon of that one in my large fermenter as soon as my Hobgoblin beer is done using it. Strange thing is I racked it for the second time with an ABV reading of 14% like a week ago and just racked it again same reading and still bubbling... UGH, how can that be???

Has it fermented completely?

maybe it just has some gas trapped in it? Could degas it and see if the bubbles stop

I did that and I still had some more activity today. I guess I will give it more time.

Update, that wine finally stopped fermenting, I added some glycerin for body and that wine I have to say is my best so far, I am now waiting for the clearing to finish if there will be anything left to bottle LOL

I think the secret of a tea wine is to use the same amount of tea/gallon as you would to make the tea by the gallon. If that would require 25 bags, then you use 25. If that would require 50, then 50 is called for. This says nothing about tannin, acidity, mouthfeel and the like.

Last edited:
Back