Tax Return/Economic Stimulus funds.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
....So Uncle Sam obviously wants me to spend some cash on things this year. I have a rather large chuck of change coming, and I've been contemplating what neat toys Mr. 98EXL would like. One thing that is coming without a doubt is a Craftsman upright tool chest, and a few tools. I need another bakers rack in the garage to match the one currently in there for my brewing supplies. Anyway, tell me that buying a chest freezer and kegging kit is a good idea.

I've started investing some serious (I think) coin in my brewing, and have a break while building equipment, and getting the garden up to speed, so I might as well add a keezer in the mix. I don't think I'll tell SWMBO, just surprise her with it, I think she'll love it! (we do love draft beer)

So down the side of the garage, I'll have a Bakers Rack, Tool Chest, 2nd Bakers rack and Keezer.

I'll also tuck the sculpture next to the bakers rack, so it looks like I'll be in the garage a lot more than I thought this summer!

I say that not buying the chest freezer and kegging kit is unpatriotic, after all, Uncle Sam wants you to spend that money:D

i think its a good idea. i was gonna convert an old fridge, but the new ones are SO much more efficient that the 700$ a new one costs will pay for its self in 4 years. so im gonna buy a new keezer. that being said, bush is only giving us 600$.....

I'm not planning on anything huge...I'd like 3 taps, and room for 2 conditioning plus a carboy......

My main question is, 5cubic foot or 8.8 cubic foot?

98EXL said:
I'm not planning on anything huge...I'd like 3 taps, and room for 2 conditioning plus a carboy......

My main question is, 5cubic foot or 8.8 cubic foot?

8.8 cubic feet of course. Bigger is better, and you aren't going to be able to do what you want in the smaller freezer.

I think im gonna go with a big one, 3 taps seems right, but you always need somewhere to store other beer, bottles, conditioning, hops...... um more beer, mead, apflewine, more beer....

+1 on getting the keezer, I converted about a month or so ago and I love it. Right now I'm still opening the damn thing up and using the picnic taps but with my tax return I'm making a collar and getting 4 faucets, I can't wait.

Doc Thirst said:
I have something similar an it will hold 6 kegs with room left over.
exactyly 4 kegs... co2..... bber, meed , apelwine, hops.... thats a freezr right there, why limit yourself :)

wow, I wasn't looking to spend $400+ on a 10+ cubic foot freezer!

but general consensus was yes to keezer

(not like I really expected everyone to say no though)

There is always Craig's list you know if you want to go on the cheap. To be honest keezers don't have to work all that hard due to the fact that you aren't freezing anymore, I would say my chest freezer is like 20 years old? and I don't hear it kick on too much actually come to think of it I didn't really see a change in my electricity bill after plugging it in.

farmbrewernw said:
There is always Craig's list you know if you want to go on the cheap. To be honest keezers don't have to work all that hard due to the fact that you aren't freezing anymore, I would say my chest freezer is like 20 years old? and I don't hear it kick on too much actually come to think of it I didn't really see a change in my electricity bill after plugging it in.

yeah, I know, but I like new shiny stuff, and I'm going to do a collar, and I'd like it to last me a long time, I dunno, I'll figure something out.

Back