Updating my fermentation setup, edumacate me plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
OK, I've been pretty much doing this for 15+ years, but really haven't been involved in the forums for a good 7 years now. So I'm a little lost and playing catchup with the changes in the last few years.

I love my buckets and ferment in a chest freezer. I started down the path of switching to Chapman Buckets but got to looking about it. Conicals always seem too expensive, but now I'm intrigued by the smaller ones. I never really liked the valve setup on the BrewBucket, the valve seemed crappy from what I could see in pics. Along comes Anvil and now the new Spike Flex setup. So... here's my question:

If I go with one of these SB/Spike/Anvil setups, I'll probably want 2 for my 10 Gal batches. That said, how hard is it to lift in and out of a chest freezer, can the handles handle it?

I guess I could look at an upright fridge/freezer and save wall space or perhaps a DIY glycol, but it just seems like a larger expense than needed. I guess if I wanted to do a glycol setup, I would just get a big 14 G conical. My Chest freezer is managed by Craft Beer Pi today and runs well. I just don't need the bling and am interested in perhaps less manual labor going forward. I'll take any advice given. I plan to move my operation from the alley into the garage when I switch to an electric setup at some point, so I think that proximity to my ferment area might help reduce the manual labor moving to the temp controlled space.

OK, I've been pretty much doing this for 15+ years, but really haven't been involved in the forums for a good 7 years now. So I'm a little lost and playing catchup with the changes in the last few years.

I love my buckets and ferment in a chest freezer. I started down the path of switching to Chapman Buckets but got to looking about it. Conicals always seem too expensive, but now I'm intrigued by the smaller ones. I never really liked the valve setup on the BrewBucket, the valve seemed crappy from what I could see in pics. Along comes Anvil and now the new Spike Flex setup. So... here's my question:

If I go with one of these SB/Spike/Anvil setups, I'll probably want 2 for my 10 Gal batches. That said, how hard is it to lift in and out of a chest freezer, can the handles handle it?

I guess I could look at an upright fridge/freezer and save wall space or perhaps a DIY glycol, but it just seems like a larger expense than needed. I guess if I wanted to do a glycol setup, I would just get a big 14 G conical. My Chest freezer is managed by Craft Beer Pi today and runs well. I just don't need the bling and am interested in perhaps less manual labor going forward. I'll take any advice given. I plan to move my operation from the alley into the garage when I switch to an electric setup at some point, so I think that proximity to my ferment area might help reduce the manual labor moving to the temp controlled space.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but as long as you're temp controlled you're pretty good to go. Unless you're looking to decrease your cold side oxidation or ferment under pressure. Personally, I have no desire to ferment these ways. I have my better bottles and good o'l racking cane and i'm still making good beer that my friends, family and the BJCP judges are scoring well when I submit them for comps.

My opinion is in the other direction; if you want to upgrade from what you have, I'd suggest a 14 gal conical and a DYI chiller. Some other type of PV that has some more features than bucket, but also fits in your freezer would be an upgrade too.

A conical or similar fermentor that lets you drump trub and take gravity samples with out opening fermentor good upgrade. The conicals are an investment, but worth it in my opinion. The chiller does not have to cost much at all if you can make stuff.

I don't ferment under pressure, I don't have any need to with good temp control for lagers, but the other conical features are useful. As to cold side oxidation, any post fermentaton oxidation that can be eliminated will improve you beers.

If you go eventually go electric and have a set up with less manual labor, you'll find your brew days go quicker and smoother. Since you are an experianced brewer, you'll apreciate the upgrades. If you are making good beer now with current rig, it might or might not improve your brews, but it will make your brew days and cold side work easier.

If you keg, Another option is to ferment in sanke kegs. I have two 1/4 barrel (7.75gallon) kegs. I have the Serving Connect from NorCal linked below.

Since buying this setup, I’ve only been able to use it once. There is a bit of a learning curve since you can’t see where the trub is. I was brewing a NEIPA and with all of the dry hops I was sucking up some trub and hops got sucked up. 5.5 gallons went into the fermenter but next time I’ll put 6 in. For a non dry hop beer I think 5.5 gallons will work great to fill a keg and leave the trub behind.

I consider this setup to be a “light” version of a conical. It is durable with two handles for carrying. You can ferment in a chest freezer or a small fridge which is what I use. You can cold crash under pressure, carbonate and pressure transfer. Less parts to clean. If you really wanted to harvest yeast you could use the keg-tee-fermenter kit from NorCal. I’m guessing I could harvest yeast with my setup if I really wanted to.

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Sanke-Keg-Ball-Lock-Serving-Connect.html
https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Sanke-Keg-Tee-Fermenter-Kit.html

3CEE147A-391B-45D6-8516-04D70C95178F.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want to try a conical without a huge pricetag, try the Catalys conical from Craft-a-Brew. I am pleased with the 3 I purchased. I just brewed an American Light on Sunday

Attachments

• Resized_20200908_062404.jpeg
    Resized_20200908_062404.jpeg
    966.6 KB · Views: 24
I ferment my 10 gallon batches in 15.5 gallon sanke kegs. I also have an upright freezer. I wouldn't be able to lift the full fermenter into a chest freezer, my back won't let me.

One important piece of advice if you decide to get an upright freezer: find one where the coolant doesn't run through the shelves.

I don't use them but understand the brew bucket style of fermentors do have handles that are designed to hold up to lifting the entire unit when full of wort and lowering it into a chest freezer. But...the units are heavier than for example a plastic carboy or bucket. Spike says while their handles are designed to tolerate lifting full, a full flex weighs about 70 pounds and they don't recommend it, but if you must do use extreme caution.
https://spikebrewing.freshdesk.com/...handles-say-do-not-lift-when-full-what-gives-
5.5 gallons of wort is 46 pounds. If it were my back I guess I'd worry about it enough to plan some sort of winch system if I had to move it in and out of the freezer when full.

I have the large anvil fermenter and I do exactly what you describe. I have to lift into my keezer. It handles the weight just fine.
However, because of covid I had to turn my keezer back into a freezer.
Because of this, I’ve been brewing with the seasons. I tried my first kveik so I could ferment in garage and I’ve also done a few brews with ale yeast.
My keezer has now been converted back so I can do lagers etc.
I will say that with different yeast available etc it’s more relaxing to me to be able to brew with the seasons and not rely on a ferm chamber. Your situation may be different so hopefully this is helpful.

I shoulda mentioned that I love the Anvil buckets, I have both sizes.
They don’t weigh much. Maybe 4 or 5 lbs.
They do everything I need them to do. When I transfer into a keg, I take off the bung and put in a co2 line to decrease o2. It’s not a closed system but works well for me.

Latest posts

Back