Tasty Test Tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chenslee

Reaction score
Anyone else chug the contents of your hydrometer test tubes? I mean, why waste beer even if it's half attenuated, warm, uncarbed, and with krausen globs floating on top?

I drank it up last night after taking a reading. MMMMM so good I might just serve it warm when it's actually ready.

I do, but I can't get my wife to sample warm flat beer. I think though that drinking the hydrometer sample is pretty common here.

Personally I prefer a good cellar temp, not cold, not room temp, just cool. It's great for full bodied dark beers.

Testing the sample is crucial to understanding the brewing process, IMO. You REALLY learn a lot by tasting you beer at different stages.

I sniff that airlock so much, I'm going to be bored with the beer before I even get to drink it! The fermenter is on the kitchen counter and I put my nose right on the 3-piece and suck it. I get starsan foam in my nose sometimes.

I actually got my wife to sample the sample a week ago. She wouldn't try it yesterday, even though it tasted much better.

I sniff that airlock so much, I'm going to be bored with the beer before I even get to drink it! The fermenter is on the kitchen counter and I put my nose right on the 3-piece and suck it. I get starsan foam in my nose sometimes.

I actually got my wife to sample the sample a week ago. She wouldn't try it yesterday, even though it tasted much better.

Haha, I love the foam. Especially in a blow-off rig. Sometimes it'll foam up and I can scoop the foam up and sniff it. I'm a foam sniffer. :rolleyes:

I drink the fermentation samples, but not the sample from before pitching the yeast. That one is just way to sweet for me

Yeah definitely drink the test samples. Funny, I used to cringe at the idea of this when I first started brewing(not sure why). Now I need to. I can get a good feeling for how the flavor profile is coming along throughout the process. My current Holiday Ale tasted so good last hydro reading, I was tempted to chug the carboy. OK, maybe not, but I am having a hard time waiting it out at the very least.

You mean there's people who DON'T drink their samples? :confused:

Mine never have glops of krausen though...If it's got krausen I don't seen a need to take a reading then. I know it's fermenting.

I'm a big fan of drinking the test tube. I sniff the air locks too. I made an incredibly hopped up wheat ale not long ago (T Can and Bearcats Wheaten Beat Down from NB, just in case anyone is interested such a brew- Highly recomended!). The first sample, just before pitching, had an unbelievable and harsh bite to it. I thought it wasn't going to be very good because of the bite. I was so wrong. It's one week in the bottle now and it's one of the best beers I've made!

I'm currently dry-hopping an APA with 2oz of Simcoe whole leaf hops. They're looking all tasty, just floating on top, so I went to pop the airlock and take a whiff. HOLY CRAP what a HopAttack on my nose. I'll have to remember to waft it to my face instead of just huffing the carboy from now on!

Samples? You betcha. Airlock Sniffing? Absolutely.

We once took a little bit of cooled wort (stout), mixed it with a little vanilla vodka in a shaker and called it the Black Gold Martini...it was...interesting.

You guys are nuts! Me too. Guilty.
My first batch smelled so good burping out of the lock that when i ripped the bucket lid off on racking day I got down right on the surface and took a massive snort of what I thought would be concentrated heaven. It was instead concentrated murder which burned my nasal. Collapsed my lungs for a moment too. :mug:

I love the hydrometer samples. The airlock smells good too! Especially some of the meads I have made, MMMMM.

You guys are nuts! Me too. Guilty.
My first batch smelled so good burping out of the lock that when i ripped the bucket lid off on racking day I got down right on the surface and took a massive snort of what I thought would be concentrated heaven. It was instead concentrated murder which burned my nasal. Collapsed my lungs for a moment too. :mug:

You pretty much snorted CO2 :drunk:

Back