Tasty McDole's water profile - IPA Tastes Mineraly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matchrocket

Reaction score
Read a number of posts on some other forums talking about how Tasty McDole's IPA Water profile is the cat's Meow for the style.

Tasty's Profile: Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm.

I took this and I cut it back some as the SO4/CL Ratio scared me little.
My resulting profile was: Ca-105ppm, Mg-0ppm, Na-8ppm, SO4-200ppm, Cl-50ppm

PROBLEM:

My beer has a mineral water like character to it.... If it was due to the amount of SO4 vs CL, would expect others to have the issue which I am not finding, as like I mentioned it seems to be a popular water profile for the style on some other boards. Looking for some feedback on the water and recipe, so I can figure out where this is coming from. I hit my #'s (pH, OG/FG etc) So processes were OKAY.

The Nose on the beer is amazing, and is the flavor. The back of the pallet has this mineral like character which is a turn off.

Any thoughts on what I am tasting/where its coming from?

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (83.9%)
1.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (9.7%)
1 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (6.5%) (LHBS Ran out of Maris)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Galena, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.3, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 10.12
3 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.3, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 150 °F, IBU: 34.88
2 oz - Mosaic (HBC 369), Type: Pellet, AA: 11.4, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 150 °F, IBU: 16.26
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.3, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
2 oz - Mosaic (HBC 369), Type: Pellet, AA: 11.4, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Tasty McDoles Water Profile 2
Ca2: 100
Mg2: 17
Na: 12
Cl: 50
SO4: 200
HCO3: 46
Water Notes:
RO Base
1.35 g/Gallon of Gypsum (8.4g Mash, 16.2g Sparge)
.3 g/Gallon of Calcium Chloride. (1.9g Mash, 4.2g Sparge)
https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=KKX5NJH

Matchrocket,

I've tried that profile as well - way too minerally to me too. It's strange because I like some IPAs that have very high sulfate levels (like Pliny the Elder). But that profile is just too much. I'm down to 100 ppm Ca and 75 ppm sulfate (plus 10 ppm Na and 150 ppm Cl). It makes a nice west coast IPA (in my opinion) but is still too much for a NE IPA. It's all personal preference. Just because McDole and others like it, doesn't mean that you'll like it too. That much mineral stuff tastes like liquid wall board to me.

Cut it back in your next beer and see what you think. Make adjustments until you find what you like - call it the Matchrocket profile!

PlinyTheMiddleAged

Another way is to brew with say 100ppm SO4 and 50ppm Cl and the relevant calcium levels, then get a dropper and make up some CaSO4 and CaCl solutions to add to samples drop by drop to see how it changes.

Back