tasty extract ipa recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
i love a tasty hoppy refreshing beer. bridgeport ipa, deschutes chainbreaker ipa, and other beers along these lines and inbetween i love ice cold on a warm day. i like some bitterness, but not an overbearing amount.. enjoy a nice strong citrus, or floral aroma in my beer and a crisp finish that leaves you needing another drink soon! please share any extract+grain recipe you may have! any info or help is much appreciated! :mug:

I just started drinking this one...excellent and fits your discription on bitterness:

5 gallon batch/full boil

8oz carapils
8oz crystal 75l
8oz carastan

7# extra light DME

1oz chinook (pellet) @60
.5oz summit (pellet) @15
.5oz willamette (pellet) @5
.5oz each willamette and summit @ flameout

SAF-05 yeast

Dry hopped with .5 oz of each summit and willamette.

Back when I brewed with extracts, I did Yoopers 60 minute IPA clone. It turned out fantastic. Give that one a try.

The Dead Ringer IPA kit at Northern Brewer turned out amazing for me. Drinkable after 2 weeks in the bottle and in its prime right now about 4 weeks since bottling. It's a clone of Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

There are tons here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/

Any that are "all grain" can be easily converted to extract with steeping grains. We can help with that, if the extract recipe isn't included with the AG version.

My favorite is still the DFH clone, but it may be hard to get amarillo and simcoe hops right now. I like the Bell's Two Hearted clone, and quite a few others.

If you can browse through and see one that strikes your fancy, we can help with specific conversion to extract (if needed) and some pointers

This was my 2011 IPA. For some odd reason, I decided to do a 3 gallon batch. It was good enough, in my opinion, that I severely missed that other two gallons....

3lb 3oz Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup
2lb Extra Light Dry Extract
8oz American Crystal 20L ~

60 mins 1.0oz Centennial
10 mins 0.5 Cascade
1 min 0.5 Cascade
dry hop 7 days 2.0 Cascade

Safale US-05

I'm basically making the same one this year, with the exception: 5 gal, adding some Ahtanum hops, using the NB pilsen malt instead of the light LME, and steeping a little victory malt to give it a slightly nutty flavor to play off the hoppiness. We'll see how that goes.

Back