Tasting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
I just started brewing and I just figured the beer wasn't good to taste until everything is completely done, but after reading some threads on the forum I hear people talking about tasting their brew while fermenting. Typicaly when do you taste your brew? is it to early before you add the yeast? should I taste as often as I have a chance? Should I do it rarely just to make sure the brew is coming along?:tank:

I dont know the answer to your question as I just started myself, however if you'd like a second opinion on any of them after their done, I volunteer!!!!!

I taste them all the time.
Any time I do anything
Test the gravity, taste it.
Rack to secondary, Taste it.
Brew, taste it.

That is the best way to know if all is well.

I usually just drink or taste, whatever is in the test tube.

Best

I do always taste the sample I removed for hydrometer testing

best not back in the wort right

but there is a limit to how many samples you can take

less beer

:mug:

Ok clarification, do not put hydrometer samples back in the wort it is the easiest way to infect a brew. Taste a bit and tip it out or if it is good drink it all, do not pour it back in.

I've tasted every Test draw. Just so I know how it progresses as I'm a complete Beer Noob.

Boil sample... Yeikers... sweet..and NASTY... slightly worried but didn't post a thread about the Nasty.
Test to check if fermentation was done End day 4. Much better but "Thin".
Test at end of 6th day transfer to Secondary. Yummy in my tummy just flat and a little yeasty.

Now Im waiting for the Kegs to get here... I'll take one last sample and then carbonate. The secondary already looks "GREAT".. So the anticipation is High!
Best of luck with yours and I'd say test and taste at every opportunity where there is the potential to learn something new.

Taste all you want, but don't judge, worry or start an is my beer ruined thread until AFTER it has been bottle conditioned for at least three weeks...when you pass the green beer window...The beer goes through so many process from grain (or extract) to glass two months later, that unless as we say it tastes like "Satan's Anus" there is reall no point in thinking that beer is going to taste the same even a few days later.

I actually just tested/tasted my beer.

Quick background, I put in way too much malt (and a lb of honey) for my light wheat beer and forgot to take an OG. Promash estimates it at 1.086 where as it should max around 1.05-1.06.

So I debated for a bit and decided to both test the gravity and have a taste. So far it tasts pretty good for being proto-beer, in fact it was really good. I wanted to check the gravity not to know the OG, but know what the minimum alcohol would be. It read just under 1.04 after four days of strong fermentation.

I would say as long as you keep everything very sanitized and do it in a safe location, go for it. Just don't do it every hour, or day for that matter.

Mark K.

That is just it. You may not be able to decide a beer is bad by tasting often but if it tastes good you know you're okay so far.

It calm be reassuring.

Back