tasting less like beer after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchild31

Reaction score
after 3 days in bottle lager tasted like larger and good carbonation. now at almost 2 weeks it tastes watery, less head and not as strong beer tasting as in the beginning

how did you prime the bottles? Is it possible that the yeastfood wasn't mixed well, and therefore not distributed in the bottles evenly? I worry about this one me self.

Most likely, the conditioning sugar wasn't mixed evenly into the beer. That or the beers were too cold. I once bottled beer and left them in a closet that was around 50 F. They did not carbonate until I moved them to a room temperature area for a couple of weeks. If the beer is not extremely high in alcohol content, not much can go wrong with conditioning besides mixing sugar and ambient temperature.

Most likely, the conditioning sugar wasn't mixed evenly into the beer. That or the beers were too cold. I once bottled beer and left them in a closet that was around 50 F. They did not carbonate until I moved them to a room temperature area for a couple of weeks. If the beer is not extremely high in alcohol content, not much can go wrong with conditioning besides mixing sugar and ambient temperature.

This.

You're still sampling green beer at two weeks, even if you are at ideal (70-72*F) bottle conditioning temps. Give it another couple of weeks, 3+ days in the fridge, and then see what you think.

I prefer at least one week fridge time for beers that cleared well to get co2 well into solution for good head & carbonation. 2 weeks for thicker head & longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation. one week will also give any protein haze a chance to settle out too.

Back