tasteless white grape wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margaret Garthwaite

Reaction score
hello I grew my own grapes for the first time, and made my first EVER wine. I bottled and waited for 6 months. Opened a bottle -- it's tasteless. High alcohol but that's all. What should I do to remedy this? Anything I can add now? I have 17 bottles :( M

Do you know the types of grapes? Most table grapes don't have a strong enough flavor to make a good wine. Most wine grapes aren't really for eating. Or so I've been told. What few grapes my vine produces are eaten by the squirrels so.......

We all started that way. Ask and you'll get answers

Hi Margaret - and welcome. You don't say what your recipe or protocol involved and that may have a large part to do with the lack of flavor. Might you share your recipe and your method? My guess is that even if you used wine grapes (Blacksmith1 , is I think , right on the money about table or dessert grapes) but you diluted the juice (in other words the source of the flavor) with water then your must (the solution before you added the yeast) would be dilute grape juice. Bottom line is that juices that you would enjoy drinking even with no alcohol are likely to make good wine but juice that tastes more like water than fruit juice is likely to make a tasteless wine.. and that applies to grape wine, berry wine, honey wine, vegetable wine, or wines made from flowers. Obviously I have no idea whether you added water but in my opinion, water is great for beer but for wine making water is essentially used to clean equipment. It's the juice of fruit that you want.

If it’s not bottled yet, put in some white grape concentrate to boost flavor, then add some ec1118 or k1v116 yeast to ferment it dry if it doesn’t kick back off again. If you want it sweet, then clear and stabilize with Sorbate and sulfite first before adding concentrate. If you add the concentrate, thaw the concentrate And add a bit of peptic enzyme for a few hours before adding it.

If you can get a little carbonation in it(or not), let it age a few months and enjoy it well chilled, you might be surprised how good it is.

Hi Margaret, thanks for posting!
As others have requested, add some more details, and I'm sure you'll get lots of great answers.
My questions:
What kind of grapes?
How did you decide they were ready to pick?
How long did you let the juice/grape skins sit together before pressing?
Did you take a gravity (brix) reading?
Did you add any water?
What yeast did you use?
What was the fermentation temperature and how long did it take?

Back