Tasted my first homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
I picked up a Coopers Microbrewery Kit a few weeks ago. I started up the pre-hopped lager extract that came with it 3 weeks ago and followed the Coopers instructions to the letter (Coopers temps are typically higher than how you normally brew). 2 weeks ago, after just 1 week in the fermentor I bottled the Lager, priming each 740ml bottle with 2 Coopers carbonation drops. 10 days after bottling I put a couple bottles in the fridge. 2 days later...

On Friday night I took out a bottle and poured my first home brew. After just under 2 weeks conditioning I didn't expect the beer to be clear (and it wasn't). Sadly the first thing I noticed was that the beer barely had a head on it and there were very few, if any, bubbles within the glass itself. So I tasted it... :mad: ...Old Style was the first thing that came to my mind. Crappy horrible Old Style. At that point I was disappointed. I thought to myself: Did I screw up somewhere? Maybe Coopers makes a bad Lager? I began to worry to that perhaps the Coopers Bitter I have fermenting would turn out just as pathetic.

On Sunday I opened up another bottle and poured a glass. First thing I noticed was a magnificent head. Nice carbonation throughout the whole glass. Sure it was a little cloudy but this glass of beer was world better in appearence than the one Friday night. Now before I mention the taste I need to say that I typically do not care for lagers. Ever since I had my first ale I just haven't been that thrilled with the vast majority of lagers. So I tasted the beer. WAAAAAAAY better than the first bottle. I mean I definitely wont say its my favorite but it was damn good. I figure I'll hold off on the other bottles for a week or two before opening any more.

I am not really sure what happened to the first bottle. I mean there was only 2 days difference between the first and second. Sure the second was in the fridge longer but it was only two days. When I put some of the bottle initially in the fridge I am positive 2 of the 3 were the last 2 I had bottled and probably picked up some of sediment (or whatever) when I was bottling from the fermenter's spigot. Perhaps the bad beer was one of those last bottles that must have gotten some of that sediment? Could be, however I am going to blame myself. I am wondering if perhaps I screwed up when I was bottling and only put 1 instead of 2 carbonation drops in the bad bottle. If thats true I sure hope I didn't do that to any others.

Anyways...just thought I'd tell my little story (bored at work). Fortunately the second bottle was so good that I again have high hopes for the Bitter I have fermenting.

Sometimes it works that way my friend. My first completely off the top of my head recipe i made i was afraid it was going to be terrible because at bottling it tasted like rat piss. To my surprise, it's one of the best brews i make.

Patience is key. One thing you'll learn while brewing is that the more impatient you are, the rewards are not nearly as great. Enjoy the wait and anticipation and you'll be amazed what 2 weeks can do, 4 weeks, and then two months depending on style. Relax, you've made beer!

Also, sometimes i've had that problem with bottles too where one is great the other is terrible. Make sure to mix your corn sugar or DME is water first and then add it to bottling to make sure you get an even mixture. Also really check the bottles first, sometimes something little can hide in there and mess everything up.

Glad to hear you're still in the game. Enjoy!

Eves said:
after just 1 week in the fermentor I bottled the Lager

1st problem.

If you are new brewing I highly recommend brewing ales to begin with. Especially if you do not normally care for lagers. Lagers take a lot more time to brew. Even an ale should ferment longer than 1 week. Typically I ferment ales 3 weeks in one fermenter, then I keg (or bottle if need be). Others will tell you to ferment 1 week than transfer to a clean vessel (carboy) and leave for 2 weeks before bottling (kegging). Lagers generally take longer than that because you are fermenting at colder temperatures than ales (in the 50's F to start and then as low as mid 30's F to lager) for many weeks or months.

Eves said:
priming each 740ml bottle with 2 Coopers carbonation drops. 10 days after bottling I put a couple bottles in the fridge.

2nd problem I believe.

I have not used the carbonation drops. However, I do know though that generally you should give them 3 weeks in the bottle to carb/condition. It is also temperature dependent. If it carb/conditioned at a cool temperature (60F or lower) it will take longer.

As I said, I heve not used carb drops so i do not know how effective they are, but when bulk priming with sugar it is possible to have it not evenly mixed. Therefore not all bottles will carbonate evenly. It is possible that you forgot as you suggested to add the right amount of drops to each, or it is a matter of the drops not having the same sugar content.

In the end here is something to think about. Keep at it and pay attention and you will make good beer. Following the instructions on kits is a good place to start, but it won't always yield good results, some kits are flawed. Keep reading and asking questions and you will know what to do. Learn from your mistakes and your succes'

Keep brewing! :mug:

I highly suggest reading "How to Brew" by John Palmer. It is a great book for the novice and expert alike. I have probably read it cover to cover 3 times, and still reference my copy with questions I can't remember the answers to. Keep brewing and I am sure you will find a solution to all your problems. Welcome to the group :mug:

Yep, I am aware that 1 week in the fermenter could be considered early (especially when skipping a secondary) however the FG matched what I expected and I was following the instructions. And 2 weeks in the bottle for conditioning is again considered a bit short, but again...coopers instructions. In fact, generally speaking the Coopers instructions were a bit wacky compared to pretty much every brewing method I've read. Their instructions call for fermenting at 22C-27C (71.6F-80.6F)...even for the lager. Interestingly enough the Australian Coopers site mentioned its best to ferment at 21C (69.8F) for ales which is slightly below their own instructions. Basically they're just a bit goofy in Australia I suspect :drunk:

I knew the day I started the first batch the Coopers instructions weren't quite the norm. But I figured for a first batch I'd follow their steps. I mean if Coopers is really the best selling home microbrewery kit (their own claim) then I'd assume their instructions aren't horrible. Just different.

My current batch (another pre-hopped Coopers Bitter) will be done a bit different. So far its fermented at about 70F for 1 week and I am planning on waiting at least another week (possibly 3). As for the conditioning of the next batch I am definitely planning on 3+ weeks.

Ooompa Loompa - About the Ale yeast for the Lager kit:
Funny, now that you ask I do remember it being labeled an Ale yeast and yet I didn't give it a second thought. I guess in the future I will keep better track of that. Of course I am done with lagers. Have the Bitter going, an IPA next, and then I think I will try my luck with some non-pre-hopped ales.

I've got my first brew still in the primary(been in since thursday of last week) and I'm already planning on a stout, an IPA, and a amber cerveza. I'm thinking about using the tax stimulus check to pick up a better bottle with the spigot, an auto siphon, and check lowe's for a quality plastic bucket that way I can set up 2 fermentors and bottling buckets...maybe start thinking about a secondary for a brew or 2.

I've also got a lead on some 3 gallon food grade plastic jugs that I'm thinking about picking up(free) and cleaning for use for ciders.

It is easy to get sucked in.

Ooompa Loompa said:
I'd be willing to bet that even though this kit was listed as a "lager" it came with ale yeast.

yeah it did, that's the only thing I dislike about those kit for beginners. It's totally mislabeled. They don't sell a lager, as they don't sell a kit the requires lager temps or actually lagering the beer for a month or better. Very misleading and doesn't teach the definition of the word lager very well.

atarlecky said:
He's soooo sucked in.

Funny thing is I think I got sucked in before I even bought the kit. Just reading about it was enough for me. I am so definitely sucked in

Eves said:
Funny thing is I think I got sucked in before I even bought the kit. Just reading about it was enough for me. I am so definitely sucked in

me too, and I just bought all this starter stuff as a gift for someone, not even for myself.

Even if your final gravity is reached you want bulk condition your beer a bit so that the yeast clean up after their big bash. You'll have a much cleaner, smoother product to taste after bottling. Final gravity is important, but bottling that quickly won't lead to the best beer you can make.

Good luck with the brewing!

Latest posts

Back