Tasted my first brew tonight...so thrilled!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorillaMedic

Reaction score
My first go at brewing was with a friend, who had some experience. We tackled a "SMaSH" clone recipe of Yellow Rose IPA and had a pretty lengthy list of things that didn't quite go as planned, from low mash temperatures to continually clogged plate chiller to under-pitching the yeast at too warm a temperature. Brew date was 4/7, transferred to secondary after about ten days, then bottled on 5/7. Cracked open one tonight and poured into an IPA glass. Hazy/cloudy beer with a slightly lighter than anticipated color; great foamy head; hoppy aroma with a hint of something else...not sure what. Taste is good, super hoppy, flavorful, a few "off" notes but still very drinkable.

Definitely had a lot to improve on, but for a first go, I'm thrilled.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463449703.296826.jpg

I remember nearly falling off my chair when I cracked my first samples of my first brews and found that they were not only drinkable, but quite tasty.

I think part of the reason for that was, up until that point I'd never had a single homebrewed beer in my life that didn't suck. Of course, my only reference point was crappy Labatt Blue clones made at a local U-Brew shop in the 90s.

At that point, I learned what is perhaps the hobby's best-kept secret: that making good beer at home isn't very difficult.

Congrats on your first brew. I still remember mine.

Welcome to the addiction/ hobby.

Brew more.

Always a satisfying moment when you get to taste the first beer you made.

To this date my first batch is still the one everyone raves about and it's the one I made the most mistakes on....

Way to go! An IPA Smash, Very interesting and might I add smart choice for your first beer.

Congratulations. Keep the rest of the beers at room temperature. Just put what you want to drink the next day in the refrigerator to chill them. The rest will continue conditioning and most likely be even better after another week or so. IPA's hop flavor and aroma does fade fairly quickly so after they are fully bottle conditioned, go ahead and drink them up.

Get another batch going soon so there isn't a gap between when the first batch runs out and the next batch is ready.

10 days is pushing it a little bit in my experience. Some of your off flavors could just be yeast still in suspension. Give it another 5-10 days and you may be surprised.
My stuff seems best to me when conditions 3-4 weeks. Some people may like an IPA a little bit on the sharper, greener side and tell you earlier the better.
Keep brewing and you will find your preference.

I did think 10 days was a little too soon, but wanted to taste it before heading out of town for a week. I'll be curious how flavor changes as it continues to condition.

I don't have the vocabulary to describe the off-flavors—how can I learn? Any helpful tools?

Hey you bottled your first brew 1 day before my first brew. :) I won't touch mine yet for a while though. I do check the bottles regularly, and they are almost perfectly cleared up. All the sediment has settled to the bottom. If yours hasnt give it more time. Once you stop getting the particles in your mouth it might taste better.

Just did the same thing with my first pale ale too.

Glad yours turned out well. Waiting for mine to finish in the bottles but it's going well.

Back