Taste test from my first home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momodig

Reaction score
I'm fairly impressed... I sampled my primary today... it's been fermenting now for 6 days now in primary....

I'm brewing the following recipe... Muntons PLC Premium Range Canadian style ale. The beer appears to be darker, almost honey-brown...

The initial taste of the beer surprised me... it tasted like beer :) then after a few swirls in my mouth, I could almost taste a hint of maple (wierd)...

The after taste was a bit sour and bitter (I could taste the alcohol) -- will that unpleasent alcohol taste disapear as fermentation process lengthens?

Yes, allow the beer to stay in the primary fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks, the yeast will clean up some of their byproducts, and the beer will taste better.

Also, after you bottle (or keg) make sure you give it enough time to condition, most new brewers drink their beers far too young, and they have a green flavor, which is more than likely what you are describing.

Trust me I know from experinece, I am still a newer brewer, but after finding this forum, and with over 40 gallons under my belt, my beers have been improving greatly from batch to batch.

Patience is the key, I know waiting is the hardest thing to do, especially when you are very excited about your first beer, but giving it some extra time and TLC will benefit you!

Brew on!:mug:

Your beer has a long way to go. Be patient and when it is carbed and conditioned, you'll have a fine brew on your hands.

+1 to both of these guys. You'll notice a significant improvement in the beer over time.

I remember my first beer and it's impossible not to sample it. My recommendation is to keep the gravity readings to a minimum. Wait until you bottle it. Take a 6er of your brew and pop one in the fridge every 3-4 days. This way you get to see for yourself the progression of carbing and taste how the flavors improve over time. Then next brew you won't nearly as tempted to take an early sample because you'll know it's not ready :)

I'm brewing the following recipe... Muntons PLC Premium Range Canadian style ale. The beer appears to be darker, almost honey-brown...

I always think my beer is going to turn out so much darker than it actually does because you are looking at 5+ gallons of it which blocks out more light making it look much darker. If you are looking at it through the hydrometer cylinder it will look a little bit lighter for the opposite reason. Just saying......

Back