Taste Issue (First Batch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukeniedner

Reaction score
I am very new to forums so I apologize if I am doing this wrong but I have done a lot of research and come up empty handed and this is my last shot. My first batch was a pilsner ale and when the batch was finished it tasted perfect. I had roughly 10 people try it and they all loved it (it was warm though). For some reason when it was chilled the flavor changed completely. It tastes like a little bit of beer and a lot of iron water (like sucking on a coin). I don't think its contaminated because it shows no signs of contamination and the flavor is perfect when its warm. Another thing is when I brewed this batch the instructions said pitch yeast at 80*F; but it never said to cool the wort. So I waited 8 hours (with a top on to prevent contamination) before I pitched the yeast; not knowing. I think its either not chilling the wort or possibly I have to much iron in my water. Has anyone had this issue before? If it is either what should I do? I built my own wort chiller so I really don't have to worry if its that. But if its the water is there something I can install? Should I just use a Brita filter? Or a reverse osmosis system in my home?

My beers sometime have a strong alcohol type taste if I don't chill them long enough but I guess it could be called a metal type taste too at times. I now keep my beers in the fridge for at least a week before drinking and it seems to eliminate that taste. Might not be the same flavor experience you're having but maybe try it. Also like most beers, the longer they sit, the better they taste. Also to make sure I'm using good water I just buy distilled water. 85 cents a gallon, better to be safe I guess!

Its not so much metal, I tried it again and it seems like water with an aftertaste of beer. I'll try what you said and see if that works. Thank you for the post.

Thanks for the tip NewrBrwr. I talked to the local brew shop and they told me to do a process called "cellaring" (keep it at a cool temperature for a couple days or so)(pretty much what you said) and the flavors will mend more. I kept my keg in the fridge for 2 days and when I poured, it came out awesome.

Glad it's tasting better. Give it more time and the better it will become. That first week in the fridge allows any remaining yeasties to drop out and settle and tighten at the bottom which also prevents sediment in your glasses as well.

Latest posts

Back