Tartness or sourness, looking for suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
Hey,

The wife is asking for a peach wheat beer. I’m thinking of making a simple American wheat. But is there any suggestions of hops to compliment the peaches but not over run the profile of the beer to let the wheat and peach shine?

As well, is there a simple way a newbie can get some sour or tartness to this beer to accentuate the peaches?

Natural, with a wheat you are going to add fruit you only need a 60 min hop addition and flavor is not really that important. You want to know the IBU you want from the Alpha Acids, but not flavor.

As to tartness you could add some acidulated malt to the bill, but I'm no expert on this (I've never done it), but I'm sure there is tons of info here on HBT. :mug:

Natural, with a wheat you are going to add fruit you only need a 60 min hop addition and flavor is not really that important. You want to know the IBU you want from the Alpha Acids, but not flavor.

As to tartness you could add some acidulated malt to the bill, but I'm no expert on this (I've never done it), but I'm sure there is tons of info here on HBT. :mug:

Yeah,

I’ve read about acidulated malt but I don’t have any equipment to check my mash ph, so I think I’ll opt out for now on sourness and tackle that once I nail the recipe and want to add to it.

I was thinking I’ll pick up some galaxy hops I’ve heard they have a stone fruit profile to them. I figured if I added any in for flavour it would be a small amount and really depend on how they’re smelling etc if I wanted to have that step in front of the peach at all.

I’m thinking I’ll go a 60/40 2row to wheat ratio and maybe add some crystal 10.

I've brewed a peach wheat several times. Even mix of pilsner and wheat, and some acid malt. Use a neutral bittering hop for your desired IBUs. It takes a LOT of peaches to get peach flavor. I've always had to supplement with some peach extract. Also, adding some lactic acid at packaging will help get that tartness you're looking for. It really does help the peach taste pop.

Latest posts

Back