Tap Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear85

Reaction score
What is the consensus on using tap water (without boiling - i.e. straight from the tap) to top up partial boil worts?

I'm having my second ever brew day this weekend, 2 weeks ago we followed John Palmer's instructions on How to Brew for partial boils, and boiled the water we were going to use to top up first. We didn't try and cool this down in anyway (other than leaving it for 2 hours) so when we came to add the wort to it, it was still way over pitching temperatures and we had to mix in some tap water as a last minute fix.

Afterwards I read that some people just use tap water anyway, are we doing extra work we don't need to?

What is the consensus on using tap water (without boiling - i.e. straight from the tap) to top up partial boil worts?

I'm having my second ever brew day this weekend, 2 weeks ago we followed John Palmer's instructions on How to Brew for partial boils, and boiled the water we were going to use to top up first. We didn't try and cool this down in anyway (other than leaving it for 2 hours) so when we came to add the wort to it, it was still way over pitching temperatures and we had to mix in some tap water as a last minute fix.

Afterwards I read that some people just use tap water anyway, are we doing extra work we don't need to?

If your tap water is good tasting, it's probably fine to use. The only problem is if your water department uses chloramine or chlorine. Chlorine can boil off and/or disipate just by sitting out overnight, but chloramine does not boil off or disipate. It can make a beer made with that water taste "plastic"y or medicinal.

I always used my city tap water for topping up extract batches without any problems. But my water doesn't have chloramines in it, and very little chlorine so it worked great. If I had heavy chlorine or any chlormines in my water, I'd buy spring water from the grocery store.

I've always used my filtered tap water for top offs without boiling and haven't had any issues. We do have a under counter carbon filter that filters all our cold water and removes chlorine and chloramine.

I boil the tap water that use for topping off my extract kit the day before, and put into a sanitized carboy. The water that I use for the actual boil, I leave in the kettle overnight with the lid off.

Filter or get rid of chlorine,it scarrs your arteries anyway even bathing in it.

I topped off with unboiled tap water for seventeen years. During that time, I only had one batch that had to be dumped, and I don't think it was because of the water.
There were a few times when the water smelled of chlorine, and when that happened, I just didn't brew until the water smelled better.

-a.

I wouldnt feed my pets or children chlorinated flouridated water, thats abuse.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I drink the tap water here quite happily so I guess it's good to use. I was more worried about sanitation than taste, so that's fine.

Back