Tap water in beer during wort chilling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDBreWs0624

Reaction score
I brewed a amber ale on the 31st. I guess the hose clamp on the wort chiller, was a little loose on the water side in. So water from my faucet got in the chilled wort. Still around 160 degrees fahrenheit, I want to say not very much probably less then 1/16 of a cup. I'm asking cause when I racked to the secondary I had a funny teaste. I did have some fermentation I don't have my gravity readings in front of me. Just seeing if this has happend to anyone else before, and what happened?

P.S. I cant seem to figure out what the teaste is like.

It hasn't happened to me but I wouldn't worry about it. Just let it ferment out and see what happens.

Relax, many of us top off with tap water, straight out of the tap, with no issues. You'll be fine....Common sense time, if it's safe to drink, it's going to be safe in your beer. ;)

It hasn't happened to me but I wouldn't worry about it. Just let it ferment out and see what happens.

That's what I'm going to do. Just had this off teaste I just couldn't pen point. My water table is a little off to I us distilled water to brew.

I had this exact same thing happen to me last year,only difference is I ended up
with about a pint of hose water in my kettle.The only thing that I noticed was
my supposed 1.062 Winter spiced ale came in at 1.050.The beer tasted good
it just didn`t have the kick I was expecting. -no worries-

Cheers

If stuff like that happens to me and I know its something I'm going to worry about, I put it back on the burner and bring it up to boil for a few minutes.

tighten when hot. it gets a better seal. i tightened all of mine down when it was cool, no problems or leaks. once it heated up, the metal expands and can make a poor seal

Relax, many of us top off with tap water, straight out of the tap, with no issues. You'll be fine....Common sense time, if it's safe to drink, it's going to be safe in your beer. ;)

What he said. I also extend that reasoning to adjuncts added post boil.

Back