Tap leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMillionDreams

Reaction score
When I turn the tap off beer squirts through the four little holes on the nut on the outside of my kegerator tap.

I feel like there should be an easy fix but I can't figure it out. Hopefully I've described my problem well enough for you all to know what I'm saying.

Sounds like your missing an o-ring, or it's damaged. Are you talking about the holes you use to tighten the tap on the shank with?

If the seal is there and looks good then it might be possible that you just didn't tighten the ring that holds the faucet on tight enough, just be careful you didn't cross-thread the ring while installing.

It has to be something simple. I would cut off the co2, purge the tank and pull the tap off. Check the o-ring, it's the only possible problem (maybe:)). Don't over tighten to compensate for another problem.

Definitely just an o-ring somewhere. If the ring looks ok, put a small dab of leg lube on it to help it seal.
What kind of faucet is it? Brand and model?

When I turn the tap off beer squirts through the four little holes on the nut on the outside of my kegerator tap.

I feel like there should be an easy fix but I can't figure it out. Hopefully I've described my problem well enough for you all to know what I'm saying.

Stupid question - but did you tighten your taps enough with the faucet wrench? I had the o-ring in there and everything on my Perlick, but I noticed that I had to tighten real hard to get a good seal.

where does the o-ring? I don't see one, so that's probably the problem.
It looks like this:
4336A.jpg

Doh! I had the same problem when I tried my faucets tonight. Glad to see they include instructions to tighten with a odd looking wrench... NOT!

I am glad we have this forum and I'm not the only fool who didn't know what to do.

I have only tightened the shank to tap nut with my hand. Never needed a special wrench. No leaks so far.

Just had this issue and I tightened the faucet adapter with the special tool (slightly as was pretty good) and also loosened the shank nut inside --- b/w the 2 items, seemed to work. I really tightened the shank a few weeks ago and think that may have been the problem.

Back