Tannin (Steeped too hot!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompbox

Served up in the backyard
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made my first batch on Sunday (Bells Best Brown Ale Clone). The directions said to steep at 170 degrees for 30 minutes.

My thermometer was at 180~184 and the water was not boiling. Not knowing any better, I did not think it would be harmful since it was not boiling. I turned off the heat and let it steep, the temperature went down to 176 by the end of the 30 minutes. :mad:

So..... how screwed am I most likely? Most searches tell me that Tannins are a result of pH and temperature. I used bottled spring water and I did not test the pH of the water.

More importantly, if the tanin flavor does come through will it be undrinable? I never had this tanin flavor sensation before to know just how bad of taste it gives.

That is on the high end, your target should be closer to like 160 so just find a way to regulate your temp better next time. I have drank beer I have made I think most other would have dumped so yeah I would suspect it should still taste fine and remember there is alway next time.

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

Well, only time will tell. Brewing is actually pretty forgiving, so I'm inclined to say it'll be OK. You've got the right idea about the pH. I didn't understand it until I got into all-grain, but the quick-and-dirty explaination is that the "thickness" of the mash helps control the pH. So even for steeping grains for an extract batch, I'd use 1.25 to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain (as opposed to filling up the boil kettle and plopping the grain bag in like I used to). That way, if you do have a little temperature excursion it won't harm the beer.

Well, only time will tell. Brewing is actually pretty forgiving, so I'm inclined to say it'll be OK. You've got the right idea about the pH. I didn't understand it until I got into all-grain, but the quick-and-dirty explaination is that the "thickness" of the mash helps control the pH. So even for steeping grains for an extract batch, I'd use 1.25 to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain (as opposed to filling up the boil kettle and plopping the grain bag in like I used to). That way, if you do have a little temperature excursion it won't harm the beer.

As far as the ratio goes, I followed the BYO recipe:
•14 oz. Briess Victory malt
•14 oz. Briess Special Roast malt
•14 oz. Briess crystal malt (60° L)
•2 oz. Briess chocolate malt

and it was a 2.5 Gal boil so that is nearly 1 Gal of water per LB of malt.

And yeah, I will wait it out and probably give the beer an extra week in the bottle before I try it which will be VERY tough to do being it is my first batch.

That is on the high end, your target should be closer to like 160 so just find a way to regulate your temp better next time. I have drank beer I have made I think most other would have dumped so yeah I would suspect it should still taste fine and remember there is alway next time.

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

Thanks... and yeah, I know better now for next time. Learning is half the battle.

I just never thought it would make a difference. Ignorance is bliss........ until you have to throw away beer that is. :mug:

malty beers tend to cover up alot of the bad it may be a little off but you should be fine after you drink ten to fifteen of them bad boys, you wont notice a thing.

Don't worry the last time I brewed extract with steeping grains it was a Saison and I ended up boiling the steeping grains for a few minutes. I walked away to get other stuff set up. Guess what, the beer turned out great. It takes a combination of high heat AND a specific ph range to extract tannins. Heat by itself isn't enough. My ph was fine so I didn't extract any noticable tannins even though I ended up boiling the grains for a few minutes. Poop happens and we still make great beer.

beerloaf

Back