tankless water heater RIMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using a RIMS tube as a instant hot water heater for a sink? I've been wondering if it's a feasible idea controlling one with a flow switch. I only have a 20A circuit at the sink in my garage and most of the 110v tankless water heaters require 30A.

Has anyone ever tried using a RIMS tube as a instant hot water heater for a sink? I've been wondering if it's a feasible idea controlling one with a flow switch. I only have a 20A circuit at the sink in my garage and most of the 110v tankless water heaters require 30A.
it will result in super denatured enzyme wort... Those are very high watt density. not a good idea. many have started threads asking this. plus they would be like using a plate chiller as far as pumping bits of grain into them.20a 110 is good for 2000w... more than enough for a rims element. mine is only 1800w and I get almost 3 degrees per minute rise when doing 10gallon mash.

It will make the water warmer, but unless you run the faucet pretty slow I'm not sure you'll ever get hot water.

Brewhardware actually JUST posted a video on youtube over the weekend thats kinda along these lines. They wanted to see if a RIMS tube would work as an on demand sparge water heater. Utilizing a 5500 watt element on 120v, putting out 1300ish watts, it raised 47 degree water to about 90 degrees, but thats about it. And thats with water coming out at a pretty slow pace, what you'd usually use for fly sparging. Upping the voltage to 240v it was pretty much coming out almost boiling. I would assume if you had a 2000watt element running on a 20amp circuit, you could maybe get the water up around 120ish coming out of the tube, BUT the flow would be pretty slow. nothing like a standard sink faucet

I love this thinking! My kitchen sink is too far from the water heater and I was thinking about point of use water heaters, but why not make one instead! It would be like in-repurposing the element! It seems reasonable to use a really small low wattage element in a small beverage cooler in the sink.

Brewhardware actually JUST posted a video on youtube over the weekend thats kinda along these lines. They wanted to see if a RIMS tube would work as an on demand sparge water heater. Utilizing a 5500 watt element on 120v, putting out 1300ish watts, it raised 47 degree water to about 90 degrees, but thats about it. And thats with water coming out at a pretty slow pace, what you'd usually use for fly sparging. Upping the voltage to 240v it was pretty much coming out almost boiling. I would assume if you had a 2000watt element running on a 20amp circuit, you could maybe get the water up around 120ish coming out of the tube, BUT the flow would be pretty slow. nothing like a standard sink faucet

Link? I can’t find it.

Not really worried about getting hot water, it would just be nice to be able to wash my hands in water that's warmer than 50 degrees in the winter. I was thinking you could just control it with a flow switch, or maybe even redundant flow switches for safety sake. It would be on a GFI outlet.

So you don't have any hot water line run to the garage sink?

I love this thinking! My kitchen sink is too far from the water heater and I was thinking about point of use water heaters, but why not make one instead! It would be like in-repurposing the element! It seems reasonable to use a really small low wattage element in a small beverage cooler in the sink.
Have you thought about a recirculating pump? It circulates the hot water back to the water heater so you have instant hot water. You'd need a return line, or you could use the cold water line as return, but then you'd have the opposite problem, having to wait for cold water.

My apologies I thought you wanted to use it as a rims device of some sort. They do make under the sink instant booster heaters we used to use them at a restaurant I did maintenance for. the flow was nothing great though.

My bad, apparently it was posted in 2014, but i guess YouTube decided to put it in my feed for the first time over the weekend

I fly sparge on-demand. With room temp + (80 ish) degree water I can heat it to 170 at 1 qpm with about 70% power on a 5500W element. I think you couldnt get hot water like from a normal sink but you can easily take the sting out.

Back