tangerine vs orange & question regarding flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I have seen a lot about brewing with oranges via zest in the boil but never in secondary. Does it not really work well in the secondary? Will it not ferment out some flavor but leave some afterwards like a berry fermenting?
Also, I was wanting to try to throw a gallon or two of a centennial blonde onto some tangerine or oranges.... If I can do that, any suggestions? If I couldn't, then I guess maybe for next time, would I just boil some zest at around 15 minutes left and maybe use a bit of extract?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I put zest in my secondary (orange and grapefruit) and it taste delicious. I've done it at 15 and 5 in the boil with pretty good success, but now I do all three. I'll get my recipe up once I am satisfied with my final batch (fermenting two right now)

Navel oranges and clemintines are other options too, I've played around with most citrus and really like the orange/grapefruit combo. Even though grapefruit is not really in season right now and the quality is complete sh**

I put zest in my secondary (orange and grapefruit) and it taste delicious. I've done it at 15 and 5 in the boil with pretty good success, but now I do all three. I'll get my recipe up once I am satisfied with my final batch (fermenting two right now)

Navel oranges and clemintines are other options too, I've played around with most citrus and really like the orange/grapefruit combo. Even though grapefruit is not really in season right now and the quality is complete sh**

Could you elaborate on how you use them? Are you grinding the rind, drying out pieces of the rind etc.

I have tried several ways...peel then chop them (no extra bitterness from the plith as many on this forum imply). You can buy dried orange peel from a local brew shop or online (bitter or sweet), or you can zest with this:

Amazon.com: Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater: Kitchen & Dining

I basically start zesting after my first wort addition, finish with the oranges by the 60 minute addition, and the grapefruit by the 45 minute addition

I do one gallon batches so its basically 1 large grapefruit and 2-3 oranges (per addition) I add the first addition at 15 and the final at 5. Dry hop the same amount later, but make sure its fresh. I have experiement with several types of oranges and citrus fruits. I don't mind the trial and error with my small batches.

Finally, I am eating the actual fruit so brew day turns into a pretty healthy day in terms of eating (certainly not the beers I consume) Hope this helps

PS- I don't boil the zest for the dry hop, sort of takes away the aroma and flavor I found. I just put it in a sanitized hop bag and hope for the best, not the best practice and I dont recommend it but I haven't had any issues

Last edited by a moderator:
What if I wanted to split my batch of centennial blonde I already brewed and just do a small portion with some orange or tangerine flavor? Can you do it without boiling? Does freshly squeezed orange juice or orange chunks not work in secondary?
Couldn't I also boil water then blanch the whole orange or tangerine in it and then zest it and it would hopefully kill off any nasties on the surface? Then throw zest into a small hop bag into a fermentor with the beer? Thinking of just doing a gallon batch and letting it sit on it for a week possibly. Thoughts?

I would blanch...oranges are high in pectin, using the juice WILL lead to chill haze and cloudy beers, if that is not an issue, I would go with the juice. I have no idea what other side effects you can get in your beer from using the juice if there are any I haven't seen orange extract out there but I also haven't looked for it.

Honestly, experiment. I have done about 20 batches with oranges, grapefruit, nectarines, and a few other "exotic" fruits. And I just use what works for me and gives me the flavor I want. People have said that using the pithe will give you a very bitter beer, but I have and there has been no issue. Could be my palette, could be misinfo, I don't know. But seriously, just try it. The worst that happens is you get to eat some fruit and have to drink a few (if your using 1 gallon) beers that were not what you wanted.

If you just listen to people (even me) you might end up with a good or even great beer, but it might not be exactly what you want...go for it and try it a few different ways.

Thanks for feedback! Out of curiosity, how much zest do you usually go with per gallon?

Thanks again!

.5 oz (about 2 .25 oz additions) Its usually just 3 mid-sized oranges per gallon and one large grapefruit, but I stopped weighing it several batches ago...a lot weights a little so be careful.

I found these tiny tupperware cups at the supermarket, I just try to fill them as close to the top as I can, but I really just stick to 3 oranges/1 grapefruit per gallon right now...I'll get my recipe up once I taste this batch anyway

Back