Tandoori Chicken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be brewing in the morning and laying by the pool and grilling this recipe in the afternoon tomorrow.

I can't wait.

# 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut into serving pieces, skinned and trimmed of all visible fat
# 1/2 cup plain yogurt
# 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
# 1 tablespoon minced garlic
# 1 tablespoon peeled and grated or crushed ginger root
# 1 tablespoon ground cumin
# 1 teaspoon ground coriander
# 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
# 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
# 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
# 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
# 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
# Vegetable oil, for brushing

Prick the flesh of the chicken all over with a fork. Then, using a sharp knife, cut slashes in the flesh to allow the marinade to penetrate. Place the chicken in a nonreactive large, shallow dish.

In a 1 gallon zip lock bag, combine the yogurt, lemon juice or vinegar, garlic, ginger, cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, cardamom, cloves, black pepper and salt. Close zip lock and mix well, then toss in the chicken mix and rub it into the flesh, turning the chicken several times. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. (Do not marinate for longer than 2 days.) Remove the chicken from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.

The chicken may be grilled or roasted. If using a charcoal grill, prepare a fire for direct-heat cooking. Position the grill rack 5 inches from the fire. Allow the coals to burn until white ash covers them and the heat is moderate.

Remove the chicken from the marinade, pressing lightly to extract excess marinade, and brush with oil. Place the chicken pieces on a well-oiled grill rack and; grill, covered, with the vents open, turning 3 or 4 times, 45 minutes or until the juices run clear when a piece is pierced near the bone with a knife.

Grill with charcoal over high heat (450) Brush with oil while cooking.

I am not going to use food coloring but these are some good sample pics. I will take some tomorrow to see how mine turn out too.

Tandoori+Chicken_Techsatishtelugu.jpg

Tandoori_Chicken.jpg

I don't have a recipe for it unfortuanately. I've had the real thin stuff and then the thicker kind but haven't sat down and tried to make it yet. Some Indians at a base I was stationed at always used to bring us the thin naan, they called it Chipati. Great bread. I'm going to check out your recipe when I get a chance.

The Chicken came around great and the naan was a learning experience. I learned after the first couple to make them a lot thinner and then they were great. I also added some rosemary in with the garlic and turned out great.

P1050358-800.jpg

P1050359-800.jpg

I need to try making Tandoori Chicken...is it just food coloring that give it the red color?

FWIW, you could try marinating in a ziplock bag. Seems like you can get full contact with less marinate in a ziplock with all the air purged.

I don't have a recipe for it unfortuanately. I've had the real thin stuff and then the thicker kind but haven't sat down and tried to make it yet. Some Indians at a base I was stationed at always used to bring us the thin naan, they called it Chipati. Great bread. I'm going to check out your recipe when I get a chance.

Chapati or roti, are not the same thing as Naan bread.

To make Chapati is really easy, mix normal flour with some wholemeal flour 50:50 and add some salt.
Put the flour mix on a table, make a well in it and then pour in boiling water, mix, your hands might burn a bit, but you need to add the boiling water.
This will make a dough, but it will be cooking the flour as it's doing it.
Then take a small doughball, roll it out in to a small disk about the size of a saucer and then put it onto a hot dry non-stick pan. It'll cook in about 2-3 minutes.
Dab it with some Ghee ( clarified butter)
These things should only be about 3mm thick.

CF7D3F81-9DB0-4903-BEDC-963120BA7E1D-Dal%20Bhari%20Roti%20Picture.jpg

I need to try making Tandoori Chicken...is it just food coloring that give it the red color?

FWIW, you could try marinating in a ziplock bag. Seems like you can get full contact with less marinate in a ziplock with all the air purged.

That is actually what I ended up doing. I read the directions Friday night and thought, screw that I using a zip lock as I do with most of marinating items.

Yes it is just good coloring they add to get the red color, I obviously didn't use any :)

Chapati or roti, are not the same thing as Naan bread.

To make Chapati is really easy, mix normal flour with some wholemeal flour 50:50 and add some salt.
Put the flour mix on a table, make a well in it and then pour in boiling water, mix, your hands might burn a bit, but you need to add the boiling water.
This will make a dough, but it will be cooking the flour as it's doing it.
Then take a small doughball, roll it out in to a small disk about the size of a saucer and then put it onto a hot dry non-stick pan. It'll cook in about 2-3 minutes.
Dab it with some Ghee ( clarified butter)
These things should only be about 3mm thick.

CF7D3F81-9DB0-4903-BEDC-963120BA7E1D-Dal%20Bhari%20Roti%20Picture.jpg
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I've seen it advertised under different names. Man, I'm getting hungry...

That looks like a great spice blend. I have used tumeric in tandori chix before, it adds a nice bright yellow color, and an appropriate aromatic kind of flavor.

I think your Naan looks good, I like the rustic stuff.

I don't use food coloring and my tandori comes out the same color as first pic.

I do use tumeric though, and chili powder, along with most of the spices you listed.

I also use garaham masala which I didn't see. It could have been but I am on my blackberry and can't check without erasing post

Thanks for that link Orfy. I'm embarrassed to say that I saw that thread many moons ago and forgot about it. Some things from that thread:

Corriander, cumin, garlic, chilli, celery powder, fenugreek, cardomom, star anise, ginger, red colour, garam masala, clove, powdered mango.
I went to the Indian Market yesterday and bought some Tandoori Masala spice mix (brand was Rajah IIRC). The ingredient list on the Tandoori Masala spice mix was very similar to this except for the powdered mango (it def had cayenne though). Corriander and salt were the first two ingredients listed.

Annatto seed same to has the same problems of some of the artificial E number additives.
I saw a packet of Annatto seed yesterday but didn't buy any. This Tandoori Masala spice mix I got does have a couple of E### numbers at the very end of the ingredient list. The can also had words to the effect; "Do not exceed 10g spice mix per 390g food." in 5 different languages. :cross:

Made it last night. I just used thighs and was a bit too conservative on the Tandoori Masala. Needs tweeking but has potential.

How spicy is this supposed to be? Is there supposed to be any cayenne-type heat at all?

Made it last night. I just used thighs and was a bit too conservative on the Tandoori Masala. Needs tweeking but has potential.

How spicy is this supposed to be? Is there supposed to be any cayenne-type heat at all?

There is not much heat with the recipe as is but that is not to say that you couldn't add more in other spices as well or just more cayenne.

Have you tried it again?

No I haven't tried it again. I do intend to add a little cayenne next time. I need to come up with a good side too...I made a Basmati rice pilaf sort of thing that was OK but nothing to write home about.

Back