Talkin' Some PS3...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
Sorry, I meant 40gb.

Speaking of, I am experiencing another oddity with the new one. During game play, the disc will stop reading after a while. When I eject the disc, it has a weird oily substance on it. WTF???? After I clean it, it will read again. Anyone heard of this?

I haven't had that happen yet---but how long are we talking about? I don't usually play marathon sessions, but I can't imagine you do either...

Evan! said:
I haven't had that happen yet---but how long are we talking about? I don't usually play marathon sessions, but I can't imagine you do either...

I'm talking less than 30 minutes. It happens on every disc I put in, even movies. Almost like the laser is melting off the protective coating on the discs.

I think I'm going to take this one back too. :rolleyes:

Dude said:
I'm talking less than 30 minutes. It happens on every disc I put in, even movies. Almost like the laser is melting off the protective coating on the discs.

I think I'm going to take this one back too. :rolleyes:

Whew, crazy...

Have you returned one before? I'm glad I got the 2-year extended warranty!

Wow. Take it back. Then get Warhawk with the free earpiece. That game is SO fun. Only game I've ever played that is 100% online.

Man. That's awesome. I always suffer from the curse of buying something and then 2 weeks later something better/cheaper comes out. Looks like the PS3 is the gift that keeps on givin'. I love it when I turn mine on and there's new updates. Time to evolve!

you know what I've had an issue with?

Long story told even longer, SWMBO and I picked up the GTA Trilogy and GT4......both seem to f-up every now and again....glitches in the game. Certain things won't work in missions on GTA and the loading screens are jittery in GT4......any ideas?

Other than that, I think that I am totally in love with the PS3....and SWMBO is too!

There's still some bugs in the backwards compatibility. I got resident evil 4, and it looks pretty terrifying, but I'm distracted by the choppiness of the graphics and crappy/difficult to maneuver POV.

Dredging up an old thread...mostly because all the topics I care to discuss are already open in this one.

I've had my 80GB PS3 (the newest version with only two USB ports...dammit) for a few months now, and so far, it kicks (a little bit of) ass. I don't even own a game for it yet! Rock Band will likely be my first big game purchase...it just looks too fun not to have. I wanted PS2 compatibility, but I was unwilling to spend the extra $200 to get incomplete backward compatibility. So, I got the middle-of-the-road version.

The DVD/BlueRay player works great. The picture is very sharp, the sound is great, and I have zero complaints about it. The game demos have been fun to download and try. Nothing has really stood out enough to buy, but I like being able to pretend I have a game for my game console.

Linux has been underwhelming. I was REALLY excited about the "Other OS" option, but the lack of support from Sony is quite frustrating. On one hand, I understand the need to keep some proprietary features. On the other hand, it'd be way cool to have full hardware access and see what the open source community could drum up. I don't mind that a PC-type OS is slow on a gaming console, but the lack of drivers (largely driven, I suspect, by Sony's tight-lipped act) for Bluetooth and wireless makes it a PITA. I think I'm among VERY few to ever have PS3 Linux working with sound, WPA wireless, AND Bluetooth simultaneously. I thought the latest Ubuntu 8.10 release would fix a lot of the driver issues, but I still had to find a workaround to make Bluetooth useful, and WPA is still broken unless you do some pretty ugly kernel hacking. I did manage to get the thing working as a makeshift networked media center, but it's a tad unreliable, and I HATE having to re-key my PS3 controller every time I boot back into the game OS. It's been fun to toy with Linux, but unless things improve drastically, it's largely useless (on the PS3).

I REALLY wanted to use the PS3 as a media client connected to a large, networked hard drive full of music, video, and pictures. Until today, I was just messing with NFS and connecting through Xubuntu or Ubuntu Linux on the PS3. It was pretty clunky except for Amarok's ability to share a database across the network for music and playlists. Today I found FUPPES. Cool! Now I can play my music collection from the game OS (along with pics and vids)! It took a bit of tweaking, using a desktop machine running Linux Mint Felicia as the server, but it's really working well. Once again, Sony has let me down a bit, though. The PS3's playlist support SUCKS...BIGTIME. A viable workaround used some Bash scripting to parse my .m3u playlists and create a folder for each playlist containing soft links to all the songs. I can navigate to a folder with the links (shortcuts), and hit "Shuffle" to emulate a playlist. I was even able to get FUPPES to stream DVD content from a networked DVD drive (not that it's particularly useful, but it was kinda neat-o).

Anyway...I like my PS3, but Sony really needs to pony up some "Other OS" support as well as some more robust firmware before I'll be truly happy with it.

We have PlayStation 3. Sorry I can't tell you what games we have, I only know a couple of them.. I play Soul Caliber or something like that sometimes, and I like to play Dead Or Alive and Godzilla. We have 50-60 different games, about 1/2 are actually PS2 games but we have one of the early PS3s that has the PS2's emotion engine inside so it plays the PS2 games and PS1 games just as well.

I use orb and tversity on my htpc which is what i hope the music vids and pics on. and i have my server that has 2 tb with music on as well. BTW the latest updates allows pandora to work.

Love the BlueRay on ours, and we have a used NBA game and Legos Star Wars. A friend got one for Christmas, and I got a look at the new Rachet and Clank and that looks awesum!

I'd also like to be able to play music files from across the network. It would be nice if they would support a network share option to search for media. At least I haven't figured out how to do it.

Yuri and gang:

Media sharing is very easy....well at least on Winblows, I haven't tried it with Linux yet. From within the PS3 OS, you can connect via uPnP from any PC (Winblows or Linux) that has that enabled. I stream video and audio from one of my desktops with actual ease.

When you already have playlists setup on a PC, the PS3 will play them no problem, or at least I've not had any problems.

I don't know for the life of me why Sony decided to chop 2 USB ports as well as the card reader on the new 80GB systems, as well as the backwards compatibility. I love my original PS3 with all of that.

BTW, the PS3 is the best BD player on the market still....without spending $600 on the newest ones.

I installed uBuntu on my PS3 and found it rather a pain...now using an old Dell laptop right on the coffee table..works great for what I need in the family room.

As for games, I just picked up Ninja Giaden Sigma and Little Big Planet...SWMBO love LBP, and I got a Dual Shock controller since my didn't come with one....still a big fan of MGS4 and GTA4...great PS3 games!

Sony did release a pretty good system update that allows better web browsing, so I'm now happy since Linux didn't work as well as I expected on a $500 machine

Tveristy on PS3 rocks very well....look into that! What, MacGyuver!!!!!!!!!!!! and NASA TV! Oh Snap!

From within the PS3 OS, you can connect via uPnP from any PC (Winblows or Linux) that has that enabled.
FUPPES is an open source UPnP server, so I do use the PS3 native OS as a client now. I really like it for the most part. It needs better file browsing and playlist support, though.

Not sure if anyone else is going to use it, but I figured I'd post the Bash script I used:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# genlinks.sh -- creates symlinks by parsing a .m3u playlist
# Results in a symlink for each file specified in the playlist.
#   Symlinks are created in the working directory.
#   Tested against .m3u playlists created by Amarok.
#   Useful for media players that do not support .m3u playlists
#     but have the ability to play all files contained in a single
#     directory (i.e., the current PS3 UPnP media player).
# by yuri, 6 Jan 2009

# if no argument is given or help is requested
# print a usage message
USAGE="Usage: genlinks.sh <filename>"
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
  echo "$USAGE"
  exit
elif [ "$1" == "-h" ]; then
  echo "$USAGE"
  exit
elif [ "$1" == "--help" ]; then
  echo "$USAGE"
  exit
fi

# if the first argument specifies a file, loop through that file
if [[ -e $1 ]]; then
  echo "Generating soft links from file: $1..."
  # parse each line of the playlist file
  cat "$1" | while read line; do
    # if the line is not a comment,
    # make a link in the current directory to the file specified by that line
    # the link's name will be the same as the filename
    # (everything after the last slash)
    if [ "${line:0:1}" != "#" ]; then
      ln -s "$line" "${line##*/}"
    fi
  done
# else, print an error message
else
  echo "$1: No such file."
fi

FUPPES is an open source UPnP server, so I do use the PS3 native OS as a client now. I really like it for the most part. It needs better file browsing and playlist support, though.

Ahh, gotcha....BTW, is that an aurdino board as your avatar?

Good eye for geekery.

yes, I subscribe to that school of thought, and overkill is one of my favorite words as well.

On a side note about the PS3, do you have a IR to BT converter? I've been thinking about firing up my sweet RF/IR Universal Remote, and I think it would be cool to have one, but I'm not about to shell out another $100 to have a IR -> BT adapter

I don't have any Bluetooth gadgetry other than the controllers and a keyboard. I have no idea how well the adapters work, but it sounds like a great idea (...then again...so did Linux on the PS3).

That's all I have as well in terms of BT toys, but I want to put my PS3 in the closet with everything else that I'm moving in there and I want 1 remote to do everything, not 2, so I'm trying to see if these $100 IR->BT converters are worth the money

I *LOVE* the media sharing capability of the PS3. I have 600 GB of movies and music (all legit of course :D) sitting on my desktop in my office. It is SOOOOO convenient to have them all at my fingertips downstairs in the entertainment room. BluRay rocks too.

Best part of PS3 for me is Rock Band (I and II). Man I love that game. I have a couple of friends on the block, and we play nearly every Saturday until 4:00 am. We all suck, but drink lots of beer and feel like stars!

Ok, I got Windows Media Server on my PC and serving files to the PS3, which is cool. Well, I picked up Burnout Paradise City for $20 and found that you can load playlists and play your own music in the game.

I did this, but when I load the playlist, the PS3 wants to copy all of the songs from the playlist to my PS3... I don't want all that music on my pS3, that is why I set up the network sharing in the first place!!

Is there a way to create playlists so that the songs remain on the PC and the PS3 plays them through the network??

That's all I have as well in terms of BT toys, but I want to put my PS3 in the closet with everything else that I'm moving in there and I want 1 remote to do everything, not 2, so I'm trying to see if these $100 IR->BT converters are worth the money

I've looked at the Logitech Harmony remotes for just that. I'd still have to buy a cheap BT-IR remote but only long enough to program the Harmony. The one I looked at supports DVR too but damn its expensive.

BTW We use Media Tomb on our Ubuntu desktop to serve files for the PS3. Works fine. The playlist stuff sucks though.

I love my PS3!!

Games I have so far:
COD4 (Awesome game and highly recommended; just don't play singleplayer on Easy.)

Starwars Force Unleashed (Fun addition to the starwars franchise, good storyline and a lot of fun w/Force powers; Play hardest difficulty from the start.)

Rockband 2 SE Well ask anyone and you'll find this game is great fun, especially w/a group of friends.

NCAA 2009 Its College football, fun to play with a friend.

Resistance Fall of Man This is the original game, wasn't impressed at all which is why I don't have Resistance 2.

Planned purchases:
Killzone 2
Prototype
COD:WW

After the games, the Blu-Ray kicks major ass! Dark Knight and Ironman are awesome on Blu-ray.

I forget what my name is, I think its jrod1282 so if anyone wants to add me as a friend i'll be happy to play some COD4 online. :mug:

Is there a way to create playlists so that the songs remain on the PC and the PS3 plays them through the network??
There are two methods to do this. First, create playlists in Windows Media Player on your PC. PS3 will recognize them.

Alternativey, you can use PS3 to create playlists. They pop up in the PS3 menu under Music (look at the bottom of the list).

So, out of this group who all has COD4 on PS3 and wants to play online?

I think it would be fun! I just need a headset to talk to ya's. :rockin:

Heck I can even jump on today after work. My PS3 name is jrod1228, I think anyway. I'll double check it when I get home and turn on my system. :D

COD WOW was horrible IMO. Boring compared to the previous one.

I play W@W daily, it just took some getting used to and some time.. (that and good gaming clan buddies), but I can't want for Modern Warfare 2!!!

There are two methods to do this. First, create playlists in Windows Media Player on your PC. PS3 will recognize them.

Alternativey, you can use PS3 to create playlists. They pop up in the PS3 menu under Music (look at the bottom of the list).

Yeah, I did get it to work, but unfortunately I cannot access this playlist from within Burnout: Paradise City. I guess it's better than nothing, but I'd still like to be able to set up a list and play while driving around crashing into stuff. Not that their own soundtrack is bad, just that I wanted some Van Halen, Transiberian Orch, etc...

Then again, I could probably afford to copy my most favorite music to the PS3 and not need the lost space. Just seems like a waste to duplicate the music that is already shared on my network.

Ah, now I understand what you meant. Yeah, the game itself would have to support media sharing -- I haven't seen one yet that does this. But I can see how that would be a nice feature.

PS3 is the best!!! I hacked my old 40gig out and put in 350 about 5 months ago. Man was that easy.

I play alot of rockband, hockey, 1943, xmen wolverine, GTA, GT prologue, pain, LBP ect. I also Gamefly tons of game as they come out. Add my if you wanna jam PSN Kevlar39

Latest posts

Back