I love my feckin ps3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
I know most of you probably don't play a lot of video games, but for those that do, I just want to say, I'm happier everyday with my ps3 purchase. This thing is stunning. The games? Getting better everyday, not too mention free online, wireless gaming...

But one of the biggest advantages is this blue ray player that is built into it. MAN that thing plays some beautiful high def video. Nothing like going through a mixed sixer of homebrew and watching talladega nights in GORGEOUS high def, 1080i video. These blue ray players are going for like $800 on average and you get one built in to a ps3, which the entire system is only $599. Helluva deal for next gen multimedia.

Anyway, if any of you are contemplating getting one... GET IT!

That is, if you have a properly set up HD television. On a normal television the improvements made by the next gen dvds are indistinguishible from current gen.

I've had both a 360 and a ps3 on my desk for almost a year now (my job is such that I end up with the products before they are released) and of the 2 systems Sony's is far better build quality. To my knowledge we've never had to send a ps3 in for repair or replacement (with the exception of mishandling--- which isn't a build quality issue) but the 360s have been pretty awful. To be fair, they are getting much better. Also, we have a LOT more of the 360s, because even their development hardware is WAY WAY cheaper (20k for a fricken dev kit--- what a goddam rip).

I'd say that it could be worth your while but to be honest, the 360 has more current products available. Additionally the gaming experience on Xbox live provides a stable, consistent game matching enviornment (that is also very easy to develop for).

If I had to make a general reccomendation: the Wii is an amazing machine with a host of very cool and useful features. Even if you're sitting there saying 'I'm not a gamer' the Wii probably has something you'd enjoy more than you think you would. When people come over and I turn on the Wii even the folks that pooh-pooh the idea of gaming have a blast. And this from an old school PC gamer-- I haven't previously owned a console since the 2600.

Full Disclosure: I work for Activision at a studio that develops primarily for the Sony, Microsoft and PC platforms.

seefresh said:
I know most of you probably don't play a lot of video games, but for those that do, I just want to say, I'm happier everyday with my ps3 purchase. This thing is stunning. The games? Getting better everyday, not too mention free online, wireless gaming...

Do you have the 2007 baseball title? I can't rember the name. I've played it a handful of times on my Hi-Def TV on 360 - my BIL brought it over. The graphics are really nice and the gameplay is outstanding.

Not big on sports games, I just got motocross and its awesome, and I got resistence and play it a ton. Not too mention I've never had a ps2 so I'm getting to play all of those classics.

I have a wii as well. Don't like it much. Was fun for a minute, but got old quick, nothing good on it right now, except Zelda which is ok.

DUDE, that's awesome you work for activision, are you a programmer or an idea guy?

I've been playing call of duty 3 online with xbox live for a while and getting REALLY sick of getting booted, I have to say my online experience with the ps3 has been much better. And, yea, I've had to return a bricked xbox 360, luckily I had the 2 year warranty.

Yuck, Sony. I doubt I'll ever have any desire to buy any of their game consoles anymore.

Buford said:
Yuck, Sony. I doubt I'll ever have any desire to buy any of their game consoles anymore.

That's funny, I hear that a lot. This is the first sony item I've ever bought and I'm extremely happy with it, especially being able to play classic ps2 games.

What makes you say yuck about it?

no no man....

wii is the way to go... i've fallen is love with it. I'm a causual gamer, and well it's fun!

tiger woods, and the upcoming RE:Chroincles game.... FPS in Resident Evil!!!

fraking zombies :p.

I too love my PS3 comma Resistence is an awesome game. Tiger Woods is quite nice. But the bluray player does kick ass. Get Underworld it awesome on Bluray. I got the 20GB model for 500 when the samsung bluray player was 1000. I just waiting for NCAA football to come out for this thing.

seefresh said:
That's funny, I hear that a lot. This is the first sony item I've ever bought and I'm extremely happy with it, especially being able to play classic ps2 games.

Quoting from a PC World article:

More eagerly awaited than Vista and almost as disappointing, Sony's PlayStation 3 is full of minor annoyances--from buggy wireless to slow and cumbersome firmware updates (requiring a USB cable). Owners of HDTVs who expected the PS3 to enhance the look of their DVDs got a rude shock: Unlike many DVD players equipped with HDMI outputs, the PS3 doesn't upscale the disc's native 480p resolution to high-definition. And the PS3 still has the distinction of being the only Blu-ray player that does not output movies at 720p. Instead, movies must be scaled (with varying results) to the fixed-pixel-unfriendly 1080i. Worse, problems with high-definition copy protection (HDCP) caused some PS3 titles to blink on and off on some TV sets.

Although I don't know if it has ever been confirmed, but it appeared that the SixAxis controller is a weak attempt at a rip on the revolutionary features of the Wii controller.

Other than the PS3 itself, Sony is a big proponent of Digital Rights(Restrictions) Management, otherwise known as making products defective by design. Also there was the rootkit fiasco a while back.

Many years ago Sony made decent stuff, but the company is slimy and their products in the most recent years have been cheap crap. I know of two other people besides myself who have had issues with the old PS2, to the point one of them had to send it in for repair.

At my work we have more problems with the ps3 than any other game system. We get tons back that just stopped working. We had one in our break room and it also quit working. I never got into playing video games, I can count on my hands the number of times i have played one. I would much rather be out side doing something.

seefresh said:

:off: I will never buy another sony product! I went through 2 ps1's that just decided to stop working, 2 ps2's that did the same.

I had a sony cd player in my car and it wouldn't work if it was too cold out, too hot out, too humid, or rainy.

Worst of all, awhile back I bought a 32inch sony trinitron. At the time I was in college so this was a MAJOR investment for me. Within 6 months it started doing this weird thing where the screen would flash green then the tv would shut off. Luckily it was still covered by Circuit City and they sent someone out to my house. I tell the guy the problem and he starts laughing. He tells me that it's a common problem with sony TVs, oxidation happens inside the tube due to bad seals or something along those lines. The oxidation then flakes off and falls inside the tube and causes arking, and the tv shuts off. So the repairman tells me to just whack the tv with a good heavy rubber soled shoe to knock all the oxidation loose. This worked for a little while but got to the point that I was smacking my tv every 5-10 minutes then it just completely crapped out on me.

I've moved on to a 37" Panasonic plasma and it's great. Sony will never see another dollar from me

I have a 360 and it rocks!!:rockin: Gears of War is awesome and I've already got my preorder for Halo 3

People love bashing other peoples stuff. This kind of reminders me of a thread started by dude to bring to light an athletes accomplishments and people just started to bash said athlete. It looks like there are only two people who actually own one and both love theres.

And if you wanted quality you shouldn't own a fixed pixel display. Anything under 34" get a d*mn tube and be much better off. Anything over get a good CRT projection comma and when I mean good I mean 3-4 grand. All those fixed pixel displays are trying to mimic normal TV's. If you made a thousands of products each year for 5-7 years and you didn't have one defective product you would be a god but until that point you are human. I've had an X-box go bad should I hate Microsoft even though most of there products are easy to use and relatively affordable? I hate when people bash things by word of mouth only.

People with a PS3 may love it, and it may have some great games. At the same time I think people should be aware of actual problems a product has before they decide to spend their money.

Yea, like I said, my 360 went bad (red lights of death) and needed an exchange, and its online play has cut me off MANY times. The ps3 I haven't had these problems... yet. I love the damn thing, and by experience it has worked out better for me.

AS far as 720p... it will come, its a firmware upgrade, I honestly think 1080i looks better anyway. The games play in up to 1080p which is really cool, but my tv only handles up to 1080i anyway.

I love the thing, I love my 360 too. Can't wait to play some halo 3.

I really don't think people should bash the ps3 so much though. Its awesome, and I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't even heard much about problems. So what if you have to plug in the controller to install an update pffft. I haven't noticed ANY bugs with the wireless controllers either. And, since 2 patches ago, ps2 games look just as good on the ps3. and honestly, my regular dvd's look great. I don't expect anything amazing (as far as movies go) except from my blue rays, which do look amazing.

I have a PSP as well, haven't played it much, but its great for long plane rides and sitting in the waiting room somewhere.

Like I said earlier, I have a wii, its fun for a little while, but after you get tired of wii bowling and zelda, not much else to do. The downloading of old ass nintendo games is kind of fun, but I haven't played past the first level of any I've bought from the download store.

Have you played Call of Duty on Wii? i watched a youtube video of it and it looks sweet. Now since you obviously can afford all these fun toys (damn college stealing my money) i am curious. If they all had the same games and kept their current interfaces, which would be most entertaining?

Personally i don't give a crap really for graphics, i find myself occasionally playing Mortal Kombat on my Sega GENISIS from time to time and still love the crap out of it.

Curious about your experiences seefresh.

I'll tell ya, graphics matter to me. If I'm playing mario or some "cartoony" game like most nintendo games, then yea, graphics are not as important. But, the ps3 and the 360 mix good graphics with good gameplay, in some games. Call of Duty 3, I need good graphics. I'm trying to get involved in WWII here, I want it to be realistic, especially on a 50" HDTV. Gears of War, Tiger Woods, I also need good graphics. The wii is not that good, they are failing at what they were trying to do. They decided to make a motion controlled system and not worry about graphics. It basically looks as good as the gamecube did, maybe a tiiiny bit better. They made the game Red Steel where you can sword fight and hold a gun like you are holding the wii controller, but it sucks. Its gotten the worst reviews ever. The controls are clumsy and don't follow your hand well. The golf game that came out with the wii is horrible, and wobbles too much thinking your hands moving. Its innovative, yes, but they don't have a grasp on it yet.

ps3 Sixaxis is not supposed to be a wii rip off, its used for steering in some games and aiming missiles, its not used in golf, shootings games, etc. Its completely different, even how you hold it.

Dude, the ps3 has this online store you can connect to and download games. They just release the arcade version of Mortal Kombat II. My wife and I have been killing each other like crazy. Also, you can play people on the internet on it.
Classic game.

seefresh said:
The wii is not that good, they are failing at what they were trying to do.

Well, if their goal was to make a truckload of money and stay as a serious contender in the console market, I'd say they did pretty well. I love my Wii (and my 360). Unfortunately, I'm getting rid of both because I'm moving abroad next year. I'll get to buy them all over again some day.

z987k said:
ps3 flopped. That and um yeah DRM

www.defectivebydesign.com

ps3 didn't flop, they just hit 800,000 sales in the UK since release in Mar 23. Dude, ps3 is doing just fine, its making plenty of money, and they are RAKING in the dough on their blue ray sales. Blue ray has one the next gen DVD war and sony has its hands all in it.

ayrton said:
Well, if their goal was to make a truckload of money and stay as a serious contender in the console market, I'd say they did pretty well. I love my Wii (and my 360). Unfortunately, I'm getting rid of both because I'm moving abroad next year. I'll get to buy them all over again some day.

I love my 360 as well, but I never turn my wii on anymore. It was fun as hell for a while, getting drunk with friends and bowling or boxing til 3 in the morning. But, now it just sits there. Not to mention the Zelda games was the worst EVER and I'm a huge Zelda fan. I find myself looking forward to 2 games on the wii, mario galaxy and super smash bros. I find myself looking forward to TONS of games on the 360 and ps3.

The Zelda game was the worst ever?! I heard such great things about it and it got ranked really high on some sites, next to only Halo. To me that speaks highly of it, but i will take your word for it. Kinda sad, was really considering getting a Wii, there is just no way in hell i can afford a PS3....ever.

Klainmeister said:
The Zelda game was the worst ever?! I heard such great things about it and it got ranked really high on some sites, next to only Halo. To me that speaks highly of it, but i will take your word for it. Kinda sad, was really considering getting a Wii, there is just no way in hell i can afford a PS3....ever.

Dude, you really might like the Zelda game. I've liked every one since the first, but this one was slacking. Graphically? It was the best of any of them, and I think that's what everyone was praising. But the levels were the same as they always have been, they didn't change it up at all. They tried to make the game "Fun for everyone" You can tell by looking on the back of the box, in the screenshots Link has a magic bar, which of course adds a depth of challange by keeping your magic up.... well, they removed it before sending out the actual game. The sword isn't really "controlled" by the wii mote, if you jiggle your wrist back and forth real fast then link does a swing with his sword, just like pressing a button... and, I got bored. I quit playing it out of shear bordom about 2/3's the way through. The story is confusing as hell, and my wife, who has beat it and is a huge Zelda fan, never understood the story the entire time. She didn't like it either.

As far as Blue ray and the format war... the sales speak for themselves. Blue Ray has shot WAY past HD DVD.

seefresh said:
Dude, the ps3 has this online store you can connect to and download games. They just release the arcade version of Mortal Kombat II. My wife and I have been killing each other like crazy. Also, you can play people on the internet on it.
Classic game.
Dude, that was MY GAME back in the day. that is awesome.

i mean, hell, i can download an emulator and all, but playing people online! brutal :rockin:

DeathBrewer said:
Dude, that was MY GAME back in the day. that is awesome.

i mean, hell, i can download an emulator and all, but playing people online! brutal :rockin:

and HD with ps3 controller too... I love emulators as much as anyone else, but these crappy pc controllers and/or keyboard buttons get old with some games (i.e. MK)

seefresh said:
Dude, ps3 is doing just fine, its making plenty of money, and they are RAKING in the dough on their blue ray sales.

Actually, Sony loses money on every PS3 sold. They'll no doubt eventually make it up (and then some) in licensing fees, but selling your consoles below value is a common practice these days.

Where's Walker? He might have some insight here. He works for nVidia and worked on some PS3 hardware, IIRC.

seefresh said:
Blue ray has one the next gen DVD war and sony has its hands all in it.

I'd rather have the option of a next gen drive like with the 360. Rather than be forced to go Bluray with the PS3.

Remember Sony's last few format wars? ATRAC/MiniDisc/Beta...any of those ring a bell?

I've owned both and I sold them both. So far Sony's online store is designed like crap! 360 wins that area hands down.

And come on no rumble in the controller? The feckin' controller looks identical to the PS2 controller.

I'm no great fan of the PS3 specifically (it's a PITA to develop for for one thing) but the controller---- it was wise of them to go with the PS2 design-- the PS2 controller is a damn fine design-- why redesign something that works really well?

The thing is that PS3 games are now able to use 25-30 GB for a game. For preformence the PS3 is the better system. When I play most games I turn off the rumble on my xbox. Plus they had to do this for the six axis control feature. If you wanted to add a HD-DVD player to a 360 than it would cost more than a PS3. I have no alligence in systems comma I had a PS1 and when PS2 came out I waited for a X-box because it was the better system. And now I waited for the PS3 because guess what comma it is the better system. Plus and HDMI out and Optical out are great for picture and sound quality.

HarvInSTL said:
I'd rather have the option of a next gen drive like with the 360. Rather than be forced to go Bluray with the PS3.

Remember Sony's last few format wars? ATRAC/MiniDisc/Beta...any of those ring a bell?

Actually, no they don't. I don't remember any of that. As far as buying seperately... eh, they should've given the option, but I wanted a next gen dvd player and also, like someone mentioned above, it gives more disc space for games too. So its not just for movies, but for making better games.

And, hey kornkob, I hear that it is pretty difficult to develop for that cell processor, but its only gonna be time before its not that bad. I hear sony is giving out tools to developers all the time to make it easier.

Back