Talk to me about sanke valve to tri-clover conversions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scone

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't been able to find an answer...

I'm trying to convert a sanke valve port into a 1/2 inch pipe thread fitting so I can build a bottom draining keg MLT. Something like this actually: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rip-cooler-e-hlt-helloooooo-bottom-drain-keg-e-hlt-176101/

However, not having a keg on hand (still hunting for a good deal), it's hard for me to figure out exactly what parts I need to order to make this happen. The poster in the above thread said he used a 2'' to 1/2'' male NPT tri-clover fitting and a 2'' tri-clover clamp.

Will this work for me? I.e. do all sanke kegs have the same valve configuration, or do I need to wait and see what I can buy before I order anything?

Also, here is my idea for the required parts, some please correct me if I'm missing something:

sanke keg ->
2''-to-1/2''-male-NPT tri-clover fitting ->
2'' tri-clover clamp ->
1/2'' threaded SS elbow ->
1/2'' threaded SS pipe ->
1/2'' female NPT SS ball valve ->
1/2'' male NPT to 1/2'' hose barb

It looks like I can get all of these things from brewer's hardware, but I want to make sure I've got everything I'll need before I place an order. :mug:

I am doing this with my MLT and BK. If you follow what the OP in the thread you posted did you'll be right on the mark. I bought my supplies from a couple of places on ebay to try and save a few bucks.

The only change I made to his set up was the seal. Instead of using the cooking pan I ordered normal triclover seals. They wouldn't allow the clamp to tighten down because of the ridge on both sides. I carefully removed the ridge from the side contacting the sanke and it works great.

I can't help you much on the sanke neck size. I don't know if the european kegs which use different couplers would give you a problem with this set up. If you stick with an American Sanke you would be fine. good luck.

Awesome, that's what I was hoping for. Were your seals something like this? http://www.brewershardware.com/2-Tri-Clover-Gasket-PTFE.html

Says they don't work for Sanke-to-fitting, but I'm assuming it would be a similar deal to yours where I can cut them a bit to make it work.

It sounds the same. No picture so I can't confirm, but the description sounds right.

A little handy work with a razor and a steady hand and she works fine. I tested it on BunaN seals first and have silicone waiting to be altered.

Good luck.

I have this setup on my HLT and MT. 2" tri-clamps will fit a standard sanke, but you'll have to trim the ridge off one side as stated above. I altered the silicone gasket with no problems. There are pics in the thread in my sig line of the connections.

You could go all triclover for ultimate bling.
TCelbow90.jpg

PullBV.jpg

HoseAdapters.jpg

Looks like what I am doing. I am either using a 2" to 1.5" reducer then 1" elbow or a 2" elbow then a 2" to 1" eccentric reducer. I will eventually add a 1" sight glass as well. This would be for the MLT and Whirlpool, swapping it between them.
EndCapReducer.jpg

TCeccRed.jpg

SightGlass.jpg

Use the silcone o-ring for tri clover to sanke. I have used the o-ring with 2 of these American-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit-with-Thermowell. They seal up nicely and no trimming.

TCelbow90.jpg

PullBV.jpg

HoseAdapters.jpg

This is exactly what I do. Except that it's my fermenter. The 90 degree elbow makes for a great yeast catcher and gives me more yeast volume vs not having a 60 degree cone.

I have the bling-est butterfly valve (called Ultra-sanitary) too, from StPats. The body of the valve is held by a clamp itself- no bolts. $75.

I pondered going the full tri-clamp route myself (as the poster of the referred thread)... Honestly, price was the biggest factor...

By the time I added up the fittings and clamps for "full bling", it was getting a little outta hand for me...

KLG Stainless on eBay has been great to me...

As far as the gasket, I may try to trim down the one I ordered, but since I couldn't get it to seal, I just made my own... It hasn't leaked yet, even thought it does have a small split, but I still have plenty of leftover baking dish to work with in case it fails...

I am currently working on a bottom drain MLT to match the HLT... Boil kettle will remain the old trusty keggle that it is...

Now to build a single tier rig for the beast... MUAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!

:mug:

Not to revive an old thread, but where did you guys find the Tri-clover 2' to 1/2" male NPT fitting? I can't seem to find one anywhere on the internet. The closest thing I can find is a Tri-clover 2' to 1" male NPT...

Not to revive an old thread, but where did you guys find the Tri-clover 2' to 1/2" male NPT fitting? I can't seem to find one anywhere on the internet. The closest thing I can find is a Tri-clover 2' to 1" male NPT...

KLG stainless (mentioned earlier in this thread) usually has them, and he has good prices. Check his e-bay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/KLG-Stainless-Inc/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=104016557&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

Looks like he has 9 of them in stock for $11.95 ea.

Back