Taking my first batch to secondary today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlieNH

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the middle of my first batch of home brew. I am doing a True Brew Pale Ale. I am just about to move the brew over to a secondary vessel. The brew has been in primary for 13 days, it is looking clearer and gravity has settled at 1.012, started at 1.049. After 7 days the gravity was 1.015.

I am using glass carboys, 6.5 gallon for the primary and 5 gallon for the secondary. It has been very nice to watch the yeast after week 1, as I have been able to see things that I think would be lost with a plastic bucket. The beer definitely had a slowly swirling cloudy layer half-way down the carboy, I would guess indicating that the yeast is still doing its work.

This afternoon I am going to rack to secondary, clean up the equipment and get ready to start my second batch tomorrow. For that batch I am doing a Summer Honey Wheat from Beer Wine Hobby in MA (http://www.beer-wine.com/products/rom-summer-honey-wheat). Hopefully, I can keep the pipeline of batches coming every two weeks.

After one batch, I am a hardcore homebrew junkie and I am already putting the budget together to invest in kegging supplies and I plan to build a nice Kreezer similar to jester369's.

Erik

Glad you're enjoying the coolest of hobbies! But,as has been noted by many...during the day at work,I'm as normal as I can be. But by night I'm a home brew junkie! Good Lord,have pity on me! Aaah,but friends I've been spotted lately,with a home brew on my breath. By the end of the day,I stumble into the house,with a face as white as death! I'm afraid that one day,they'll find me layin on my bed. With a bag of DME in one hand,& a 6 pack by my head!;)

Hi All,

I am in the middle of my first batch of home brew. I am doing a True Brew Pale Ale. I am just about to move the brew over to a secondary vessel. The brew has been in primary for 13 days, it is looking clearer and gravity has settled at 1.012, started at 1.049. After 7 days the gravity was 1.015.

I am using glass carboys, 6.5 gallon for the primary and 5 gallon for the secondary. It has been very nice to watch the yeast after week 1, as I have been able to see things that I think would be lost with a plastic bucket. The beer definitely had a slowly swirling cloudy layer half-way down the carboy, I would guess indicating that the yeast is still doing its work.

This afternoon I am going to rack to secondary, clean up the equipment and get ready to start my second batch tomorrow. For that batch I am doing a Summer Honey Wheat from Beer Wine Hobby in MA (http://www.beer-wine.com/products/rom-summer-honey-wheat). Hopefully, I can keep the pipeline of batches coming every two weeks.

After one batch, I am a hardcore homebrew junkie and I am already putting the budget together to invest in kegging supplies and I plan to build a nice Kreezer similar to jester369's.

Erik

Why use a secondary? YOu are not dry hopping so what is the purpose? Leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks and then bottle and enjoy in another 3.5 weeks.

congrats on doing the opposite of many 1st timers and giving this some time!

I'm usually more for waiting longer, but I say celebrate your doing good and bottle that puppy up instead of moving to the secondary. sure giving the extra time will result in a clearer and cleaner tasting beer, but you can learn that next beer.

Why use a secondary? YOu are not dry hopping so what is the purpose? Leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks and then bottle and enjoy in another 3.5 weeks.

Great question.

First, I want to start the next batch, so I need to get my primary emptied out and cleaned.

My good friend that got me started on this has been using primaries for everything and his beer is amazing.

So, I am trying not to rush things and eager to get started on the next batch. Otherwise, I would let it sit in primary another week and bottle it.

Thanks for the input guys!

E

congrats on the first batch. took us 2 batches before we built the keezer. you have no idea how fun it is to pull your own pint. and by own i mean YOU MADE BEER!

enjoy!

Back