Taking keg without CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
I've searched and can't find a direct answer. I'm looking into kegging and wanted to know if I can take a keg to a friend's house without bringing a CO2 tank. As I said I'm not kegging yet and this may be obvious when I purchase the equipment. I know commercial kegs require a tap w/ a pump and I think its called a picnic tap, is there something like this I would need to buy separate from the equipment used in a kegerator?

if your beer is already carbed (primed with sugar since you don't have a CO2 tank) you will still need something to push the beer out. You don't specifically need a CO2 tank....you could get by with a CO2 cartridge connected to your gas inlet and use a 16gram cartridge to push the beer out.

In the short term this is certainly cheaper than buying a CO2 tank...but in the long term you'll eventually want one anyway. Actually...i'm thinking that I want both options. I currently have a CO2 tank, but having the portable cartridge kit isn't bad for the times you want to take your keg out.

You can also get regulators that are adapted for use with paintball tanks. A paintball CO2 tank is a bit more portable than a full sized CO2 cylinder. But like AJ said, you'll probably want both eventually. Otherwise you'll be refilling your paintball tank quite frequently.

The little CO2 injectors work, but getting the pressure right is a pain. You have to just "bump" the trigger. As the beer flows, somebody is liable to just PULL on the trigger, and over carb the keg. You best bet is to only attach the injector when needed, then immediately unscrew it.

Oh, and NEVER attach the injector to the cornie connector, unless the connector is on the cornie. I got a nasty black fingernail from an exploding cornie gas connector that way.

I use a paintball bottle now for portable serving, but keep the injector as a backup.

Could you carb the beer, then turn the corney upside down and serve from the gas out connector using gravity??

I'd think eventually the flow would slow or stop as the negative pressure develops inside the keg. You might actually just have to open the liquid out to allow the pressure to equalize via the dip stick.

Could you carb the beer, then turn the corney upside down and serve from the gas out connector using gravity??

at some point, it is going to reach negative pressure and stop flowing (Imaging holding a bottle upsidedown, but not allowing air to get in as the water empties)

If you plan to just serve a keg at a party, and reconnect what is left to your keezer afterwards, the quickchargers and a short picnic tap is the way to go. You will loose some carbonation, but reconnecting it to your keezer will replenish the carbonation in the remaining beer.

I fill bottles with my BMBG for parties. If I need alot of beer, I will fill a half dozen growlers.

Adding Portable to my searches sure would have helped! Transporting didn't. When I do start using kegs I will use CO2 tank and force carb. It looks like a cheaper but less precise option is the injector while the paintball canister is better but pricey too.

As for putting it in bottles or growlers, it just doesn't have the cool factor at a tailgating party that showing up w/ 5 gallons of homebrew does :D

Thanks for the info guys!

As for putting it in bottles or growlers, it just doesn't have the cool factor at a tailgating party that showing up w/ 5 gallons of homebrew does :D

Ya, the injector is probably the way to go. For added cool points, do the draft faucet option rather than the picnic taps...

You could do that if you relieved the (negative) pressure in the keg, but now you're in the realm of a picnic tap....ie adding oxygen to finished beer. If you're going to finish it in one sitting you're probably fine....but it won't keep after you let all that air in there.

Occasionally, I've wanted to do this and my solution is to take a keg that is about 2/3rds full. I use a cobra tap with 10' of 3/16ths and kick the pressure to 20 psi just before going out the door. This does a fairly good job of dispensing and the extra CO2 doesn't have time to dissolve and cause foaming problems.

Yeah, it's the pic to the left of the Tailgater.

Is that a 60qt cube? I can't close the lid on my 60qt with the cornie connector attached. Or, are you using a 2 gallon keg?

I picked up a 70qt cube, with the domed lid. It will hold two 3 gallon kegs, with connectors attached and still have plenty of room for a paintball tank and regulator, plus a lot of ice.

The little CO2 injectors work, but getting the pressure right is a pain. You have to just "bump" the trigger. As the beer flows, somebody is liable to just PULL on the trigger, and over carb the keg. You best bet is to only attach the injector when needed, then immediately unscrew it.

Or have someone who doesn't know how to work it pull up on the entire injector and WRENCH it off the keg connector. Ugh... I wasn't happy, but I got it back together. It's never been the same since.

-Steve

2.5 gallon. Not sure of the cube size and don't see anything on it to indicate that. Picked it up at WallyWorld though.

2.5, right. WW only sells the 60qt, I had to get my 70qt at Gander Mountain.

60qt:

0003422345006_215X215.jpg

70qt:

401277_M1.jpg

Is that a 60qt cube? I can't close the lid on my 60qt with the cornie connector attached. Or, are you using a 2 gallon keg?

I picked up a 70qt cube, with the domed lid. It will hold two 3 gallon kegs, with connectors attached and still have plenty of room for a paintball tank and regulator, plus a lot of ice.

Good point here, the 60 quart wont work for 3 gallon kegs. Shop around for the 70qt, it's got a domed lid for more height.

60qt:

0003422345006_215X215.jpg

That looks about right. Going with me to San Diego next month to tour Stone Brewing while the girls are shopping. Taking a empty 2.5g with me in hopes of getting it filled with something good.

Back