Taking homebrew on an airplane??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdufford

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm flying up north from FL to visit family, and naturally, I want to take a six pack of my first homebrew up for them to try. Have any of you guys ever done this? Should I expect any problems with the airline (or the homebrew for that matter) flying with 6 bottles of beer packed away in my checked luggage?

No problems in your checked bags. It's a shame you can't carry on anymore, my old carry on bag used to be a case of beer.

I usually wrap bottles in shirts or socks and make sure they can't rattle around much. The one time I had a problem was when TSA didn't put everything back right and one of the bottles broke.

I used to wrap in socks/shirts, then a towel, then stick it all in a garbage bag. Unfortunately every time it seemed like TSA tore the bag or didn't close it up right which kind of defeats the purpose of even using it.

Keep the bottles towards the bottom of the bag so it isn't too top heavy.

It does get pretty chilly up at 35,000 feet, so you may want to think about insulating the bottles somewhat to prevent them from freezing.

It's a shame you can't carry on anymore, my old carry on bag used to be a case of beer.

It sure is a shame. I remember the days you could stroll right through security with a 6 pack.

It does get pretty chilly up at 35,000 feet, so you may want to think about insulating the bottles somewhat to prevent them from freezing.

The cargo area is pressurized and heated the same as the cabin. They put pets in the same area so they have to be able to survive for a while and don't think the airlines are providing a coat for fido

Back