taking corny keg camping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleJBrewery

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a few 5 gallon corny kegs and I'm wanting to take one camping with me. I don't have a full kegging setup, just the corny kegs themselves, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I have a container to keep it in no problem. I'm looking at using a 20oz co2 tank on it or using the hand held keg chargers.

How would i go about doing this?

Thanks!

-Josh

easy... use the hand held charger to charge it up to dispense. few pumps, boom..

make sure you bring plenty of charges.

if your bringing a few I would just look at bringing a tank. I did three last year for my fishing trip and I brought a 5# tank. anything after 1 or 2 your just better off with tank then hand held.

It almost goes without saying that you'll want to sugar-carb it in the keg and use those little cartridges only for pushing the beer out of the picnic tap. You need a bigger CO2 bottle and a regulator for force carbing.

Thanks all! I have actually decided that I'm just going to buy the stuff to keg the right way, instead of wasting the money on something i might now use again.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Home Brew mobile app

Also, something to consider. Kegged beers still settle out some yeast and other solids while they carbonate/crash out/condition. If you carbonate (naturally or force) for a couple weeks and have a clear pour, it is not a bad idea to transfer the beer into a second clean keg so that the sediment does not mix back into suspension during transport. Just my $0.02. The chargers do work for dispensing beer, though people have a tendancy to love to pull the trigger and you will probably need a few cartridges for the charger.

Additionally, remember to give the keg a little time to chill down and settle and give the CO2 a chance to settle back into solution.

I'd look into making a jockey box. I say this because the times I've taken beer camping/ hunting, my friends and family are over serving themselves. 15 gallons in 3 days is not out of the ordinary. I've even shut the tap's down in the am, to have enough beer for the weekend.

Great idea on the jockey box. I'm actually going to look into renting one, since they are only $25 and include everything. Thanks again for a great idea!

Latest posts

Back