Taking bottled beer on the road == lot's o foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anton005

Reaction score
Often over the holidays I take my bottled brews over to friends and family. Usually right after I get there we crack a few, then the resulting foam begins :( I'm guessing the time in the car (usually less than 20 min) agitates it too much. Does anyone have a trick to get around this problem? Am I the only one dealing with it, or is it common?

I'm talking 22 oz bottles here.

A 20 minute car ride should not be a problem. I routinely visit family that is a 10 hour drive and have no problems, with either 12 oz or 22oz bottles.

Have the bottles been chilled for a while? 24 hours minimum, preferably a few days. Then keep them cool for the ride and you should be good.

If you are having foaming problems, it is mot the car ride.

Keg condition or bottle condition? I'm assuming bottle conditioned. The ride shouldn't shake them up more than it would commercial beer, and letting them sit for a few hours in ice is probably a smart idea regardless.

Yeah, they are bottled conditioned.

Hmm, o.k. Well seems like this is my unique problem. Thats what I needed to know. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

If they're warming up that could cause foaming.
If they're getting agitated, that could cause foaming.
I'd chill them really cold, put them in a cooler to keep them as cold as possible and to avoid agitation, and let them sit for a while in the fridge before opening when you get to your destination.
Or, you could keg your beer instead.

Put them on ice for the ride and it really shouldnt be a problem if they were already chilled.

Back