Taking an FG reading from pressurized fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonGavlar

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ill be doing my first pressurized fermentation soon and it just dawned on me that surely once fermentation is complete and you go to take the FG reading, will the carbonation not throw off hydrometer readings?

If so, how are you guys taking FG readings from pressurized fermentations?

Cheers

I had a hunch the solution might've been as simple as that lol.

Thanks

To add onto this thread I’m new to pressure fermenting as well. If the psi gauge keeps rising does that mean the yeast is still working. I released all the pressure last night and now it’s back up to 2psi. Before is put it under pressure I had a gravity reading of 1.012 last Friday but I added fruit at this time and really was hoping to keg tomorrow.

To add onto this thread I’m new to pressure fermenting as well. If the psi gauge keeps rising does that mean the yeast is still working. I released all the pressure last night and now it’s back up to 2psi. Before is put it under pressure I had a gravity reading of 1.012 last Friday but I added fruit at this time and really was hoping to keg tomorrow.
small rises in psi can just mean gas that was in the beer is leaving suspension. A stable gravity reading across multiple days is the only way to be sure if fermentation is complete. If you added fruit on friday it is possible that the yeast are still chewing through the sugar that the fruit introduced.

For sample readings during fermentation I use a refractometer with a correction calculator. But yeah for FG if you want or need accurate result degas the sample and measure with hydrometer.

Nalgene bottle, seal shake vent shake vent repeat is one way.

Pouring back and forth glass to glass is another but takes longer

Stir plate works too and is hands-off

Sonic cleaner is the fast, fun, potentially messy way.

Back