Take a look at my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msleeve_ak

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a couple years now and have tried some partial mash recipes but mostly extract. I just don't have the space for it. But I have been tinkering with recipes lately and I have put a few together to create this one. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on this one, I am going for the name/style Super-Charged American Brown. I do like my beer hoppy so i am going for that

8 lbs Amber LME
1/4 lb Black patent
1/4 chocolate
2tsp gypsum
3oz centenial --boiling
1/2 oz centenial ----Finishing
1/2 oz centenial ----Dry hop
1 pkg ale yeast

steeping grains for 1/2hr
adding LME and boiling hops
after 45min adding gypsum and finishing

add dry hops and let time do the rest.

What do you all think?:tank:

i'd add about 10 or 15 mins to the steep to get some more maltiness out of the grains w/ that much hops -- but you like yours on the hoppy side

anyways -- sounds good :)
i <3 dry hopped

Just for my tastes, I would cut the black patent, double the chocolate malt, and cut the bittering hops to 2 oz. I would then add 1 oz of Centennial at 15 minutes, 1 oz at 5 minutes, and 2 oz for dry hopping.

But, that's just my tastes. :)

TL

3oz Centennial for 60 minutes with the extract amount you've listed is giving you a 1.7 IBU:OG bittering ratio. That's 101 calculated IBUs with only an O.G. of 1.059.

That's way too harsh, if you ask me...hophead or not. You're just not going to have balance.

I'd cut it back to around 2 oz.

Well i want balance!!! I think i need to think more about the science of things to make sure i am balanced. Thank you so much for your input...it is appreciated.

Why the gypsum? I'd probably avoid adding stuff to my water unless I had a real good idea what the mineral content already way. IIRC, adding the gypsum will make the hops more dominant, as well.

Personally, I think a bit of crystal malt - maybe just a half-pound of Crystal 60L, maybe a little more - will help bring out some more sweetness to help balance the hops.

Back