Table Vinegar with colorant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafCutter

Reaction score
I just moved to switzerland and I dont have access to sanatizing products like star san. However, I was going to create my own non-rinse sanatizer with the 1oz bleach, 1oz vinegar and 5 gallons water. My problem is, the cheap white vinegar I am familiar with in the US is called table vinegar and has an added colorant, stupid... But not the point. Does anyone see a problem with using vinegar with colorant?

Yes....i see a problem.
Let me see if i got this right.
You want to avoid infections from things that can turn your brew into vinegar....
BY RUBBING IT WITH a vinegar solution.....what could possibly go wrong......

Pony up the shipping dough and get star-san shipped to you.

Nope. It should work fine. That blend is a known cheap sanitizer from what I have read. It might stain though like iodophor? Maybe?

I would also just pay the shipping as Starsan goes a long long way for cheap.

You are better off skipping the vinegar and just using the bleach/water mixture. Bleach is not really desirable either. With all those milk cows in Switzerland there must be something the dairy farmers use....

Yes....i see a problem.
Let me see if i got this right.
You want to avoid infections from things that can turn your brew into vinegar....
BY RUBBING IT WITH a vinegar solution.....what could possibly go wrong......

Pony up the shipping dough and get star-san shipped to you.

Thanks, but this is not helpful to the question... It actually is a perfectly fine non rinse sanitizer. My question is if colorant (E 150c to be exact) would have any influence on the performance of the homemade sanitizer.. My guess is no, but I was hoping someone who has experience or knowledge on the matter could help. Thanks again.

You are better off skipping the vinegar and just using the bleach/water mixture. Bleach is not really desirable either. With all those milk cows in Switzerland there must be something the dairy farmers use....

Yeaaaah, you are right. I am definitely looking. I do not speak French yet and chemicals in an unknown language is a bit intimidating.. I am just in a pinch right now.

According Basic Brewing Radio's facebook page, you can make no-rinse sanitizer with:

bleach diluted to 80 ppm
an equivalent amount of white vinegar to adjust the pH (mixed in after the bleach has been mixed into the water -- do not mix full-strength bleach and vinegar directly)
This info is apparently backed up by what Charlie Talley (Mr. Star San) said on a Basic Brewing Radio episode.

Latest posts

Back