T. Mac's Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macminn18

Reaction score
Finally getting my keezer build underway. It was just before Christmas when the CP (Chief Procurer, aka wife) gave me the ok to build a keezer. First you need to know that she's a little late to the party on the craft beer/homebrew scene. She couldn't stand those heavy, dark" beers. Now, much like me, she can't stomach the corporate swill, and loves her IPA's and even stouts and porters.

Time is my biggest issue. I almost had someone build the keezer for me, but I'm stubborn I guess, caved in, wanted to do it myself. I love projects like this, much like I like to brew my own, but was still concerned how long it would take.

I picked up a freezer at Men-ards for $299. I did look on craigslist for a while without much luck. Either they went before I could get there, or they were 30 years old in bad shape.

I picked up this 10.2 cu ft chestie. I had looked at the 6.9 - 7.2 cu ft ones at the other stores, and almost pulled the trigger. I saw this one, it was only about 5 inches wider than the others, and this one I can get 6 cornys in there easy, and 2 gas tanks on the hump.

Freezer.jpg

Freezer_cutouts.jpg

Started on the base. Had some casters at work from a huge shipping crate that I salvaged.

Base.jpg

Sides.jpg

Front_base.jpg

Casters.jpg

Now to make the collar. Used liquid nails to attach the collar. Used the thermex type foil insulation. Not much R value, but better than nothing I thought.

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

Front_collar.jpg

Inside_collar.jpg

Back collar_2.jpg

Attached the lid. I think I measured 14 times before I drilled through the lid!

Back_lid.jpg

Inside_lid.jpg

Found some closeout laminate flooring at lowes, used liquid nails and a micro nailer, 23 gauge pins to attach it to the frame. Been looking for a project to use that tool!

Front_face.jpg

Front_side.jpg

Finished the sides of the top. Used vinyl tile, 89cents per square for the top of the top, lighter than ceramic tile. Didn't want to add more weight to the already heavy top. You can see the gas canister keeper I built as well in the pic.

Exterior.jpg

Build a grate system supported by pvc to keep air circulating under the kegs. Starting to get the guts installed. Still a ways to go. Working on the coffin top now. Have my first keg in there carbing up as well. Hooked up a Johnson controller, working great.

Inside grate.jpg

Inside_grate.jpg

Looking good. I like your choice of Laminate flooring and stick on tiles. It will help with weight and I think looks just as good when done right. Looking forward to the rest of the build. :mug:

My bride let me work on the keezer again on Valentines Day. What a sweet heart! Got a good start on the top. 2 kegs carbing up inside already!

CoffinTop.jpg

Finally able to finish my keezer project! Well, I do need to add the drip tray, but close enough. AND, it's in the house!

Overall pretty happy with it. Will monitor it to see if I need to add a fan.

Worked out pretty well, my son in law stopped by yesterday with the grandkid as my bride and I were struggling to get the top in the house. Had to take one door off and the door stop moulding, but worked out well.

Nitro regulator is whacked, don't know why. It just keeps going over 100. Will have to look at it. For now, pouring the Java Stout with regular C02.

For some odd reason I can't upload pics. Keep getting an error message.

Here are some pics of the finished (almost) project.

Need to put the drip tray in

20160313_204326.jpg

20160314_041627.jpg

20160313_204354.jpg

Back