System Design Questions - Recirculating Mash - help a newbie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reubens888

Reaction score
OK, so I've been brewing with converted kegs and a rubbermaid cooler for quite a few years. Finally got my supervisor (aka wife) to let me upgrade my system! :rockin: So I want to make sure I do it right.

I am building a Brutus style system, with Love controllers and NG burners. I have two 32 tip burners (Boil Kettle and and HLT) and one 23 tip burner for the MT. I will have a constant pilot for all three. I've got 2 Blichmann 15 gal kettles on the way.

My first question is where do I put the thermometer on the recirculating mash? Should it go on the outlet of the MT in line to the pump, or should it go somewhere in the middle of the mash (replace Thermometer with thermowell)? I want to make sure I keep the mash at a constant temp, but also dont want my valves to be opening/closing constantly...

My next question is about the level in the MT during sparging. I want to be able to start it up, and let it go for a nice long sparge without constant oversight (so I can start cleaup process) .I plan on putting a valve after each one of my pumps, but I am thinking that it might be tough to match flows exactly so I dont expose grain, or overflow the MT. I see the Blichmann auto sparge, but not quite sure how that works...could that be used for either a 5 gal or 10 gal batch? How will that work with regulating the flow of each of the pumps? OR, is there some type of gadget that I can hook up to set flow rates, or control when the pumps are on/off?

I haven't posted much on here yet, but I have definitely frequented the site to get info on helping me understand the process and recipies. I appreciate everybody's help!

If you're building a Brutus 10 then I'll assume you are following Lonnie Mac's design, if not you can purchase a set of plans from his website. Even though it is an awesome system and gives you complete control over every step of the process, it's still not something you can walk away from during the sparge, or any other part of the process for that matter.

Lonnie's plans will answer most of your questions but I will attempt to tell you how mine is set up. The electronic thermowells for both the mash tun and HLT are located in the tee gate valves (in-line) right where liquid leaves the kettle, this is the best place to take the temp readings for the controller in a re-circ setup since it ensures that the liquid leaving the vessel is at the temp you want it. as for levels during sparge it still takes regular, if not constant, oversight. I just watch my sight gauges when I first start sparging and tweak the gate valves on the pumps until I get the flow/drop I'm looking for. After that, I'm just watching to make sure nothing sticks or stops.

I'm not familiar with the auto-sparge but here's a tip for when you get up and running... In a re-circ setup like the B10, rice hulls are your friend. I typically use a pound on every batch regardless, up to three if there's wheat, or anything else sticky, in the bill.

Hope I answered some things for you. Good luck, you will absolutely love the Brutus, I do!

:mug:

IMG_0821.jpg

Thanks for the info, and the pic! I do have the B10 plans, and am using them as a guide to make my own version. Your setup is sweet. I do have a couple questions for you: It looks like the "in" to your pumps is located on the bottom... are your pumps self priming? I have the March 809's, and they are not self priming...is it better to have the "in" on the top?

Next question... I see your temp probes (red), but I am wondering what are the cylinder looking things (about 6" long x 3" diamater)?

Back