Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: I went through and double checked all spreadsheet prices against the latest catalog (1/27/2012) and there are no changes in prices. BUT I did find some prices that I put in wrong.

The following were corrected:
Split 1 - BZ-CRPL : Was $0.64 but correct price is 0.74 per lb
Split 15 - GB-HONY : Was $0.97 but correct price is 0.79 per lb

So if you were part of either one of these splits, your estimate has changed.

Sorry about that! Should be all fixed!

Jeff B

anyone Interested in a c120 1/3 split?

Cidah, Check will be in the mail in the next couple days!

I'd do 1/4 split, but not sure I could use 1/3 split. 12 lbs is even alot to use. I only really use it in my irish red, what else is it good in? I tend to use 60c everywhere.

I'd do 1/4 split, but not sure I could use 1/3 split. 12 lbs is even alot to use. I only really use it in my irish red, what else is it good in? I tend to use 60c everywhere.
arrogant bastard clone it is really good w c120

Jeff could you put us 3 in @ 1/4? It won't
Let me access the spreadsheet from my phone and I'm at work late tonight...

Jeff could you put us 3 in @ 1/4? It won't
Let me access the spreadsheet from my phone and I'm at work late tonight...

Sure I can do that. jbsengineer, that cool with you? I'll throw you on for now.

GW-C120 split added. Need 1 more to close (1/4 split)

This is the LAST thing I can afford on this buy. I'm soooo in deep on this order! Good thing I live alone!

Jeff I hear you on that one! I am in the process of going through a break up. I find myself with much more time to brew and drink beer!

Yeah and the strangest thing, and the one thing that makes EVERYONE look at me really weird... I don't really drink my own beer... or any beer. I maybe have 2-4 glasses out of a whole keg, I give most of it away. I just really enjoy the process, the science, and the art of brewing. And I do ALOT of brewing too! But my friends never complain :tank:

I drink more than that but rarely more than a quarter of what I brew... I really enjoy hosting sporting events at my place. Only a couple of friends complain about my beer.... Needless to say they bring bud or coors light!

I just closed out the c120 split. If this was earmarked for someone, let me know (not the end of the world whether I have it or not).

Total Items Closed = 114

Isn't there someone out there that wants to have some of that fine smoked malt (.25) to close out that split? :)

By the way, I'm up at 5:00am....brewing a batch of beer!

Edit: Did a Bells Two Hearted. First time on this one, was intrigued by the Vienna in an IPA. Barely finished in time to get to class (I am teaching it, so I guess I have to be there). Will have to do some "clean up" when I get home. :(

I must be in a different camp than you guys - I REALLY like the beer I brew :D. While I am very generous giving it out in growler fills for my dad, brother and neighbors I would be lying if I didn't say I brew to enjoy my own beer. In fact when I started brewing beer my goal was to never have to buy commercial beer unless I was looking for a sampler.

Don't get me wrong I love the process and all the DIY projects that come along with it. But love having kick arse brew on tap at my house so I can pull a pint!

Copyright - I totally would have jumped on that split with you but I just bought 6lbs of smoked malt recently when I grabbed some other stuff in an online order for hardware. Sorry!

Sure I can do that. jbsengineer, that cool with you? I'll throw you on for now.

GW-C120 split added. Need 1 more to close (1/4 split)

This is the LAST thing I can afford on this buy. I'm soooo in deep on this order! Good thing I live alone!

All good here!

Yeah and the strangest thing, and the one thing that makes EVERYONE look at me really weird... I don't really drink my own beer... or any beer. I maybe have 2-4 glasses out of a whole keg, I give most of it away. I just really enjoy the process, the science, and the art of brewing. And I do ALOT of brewing too! But my friends never complain :tank:

i drink a majority of my beer, but it takes a long time to kill a keg... the last set of samples I had at your place, no one should be complaining!

I live alone, but I am lucky as my GF loves brewing just as much as I do, Jeff can attest to the fact that she buys as much grain as I do if not more!

Don't get me wrong I really love my beer! It's much better than most commercial stuff. I'm just too busy to really enjoy it. I do have a couple kegs I brewed for the Super Bowl so I plan on drinking wayy too much Sunday!

Cidah, what's your process for filling growlers? I honestly have never tried it. I'm thinking I might have to start.

Lets try to get these splits closed up.
Split Current Qty
BZ-SMOK 0.75
GB-HONY 0.75
TF-GPRM 0.50
BD-CHLT 0.50
GP-FLBLY 0.50
BZ-CRPL 0.33
GO-FLWHT 0.50

If we get these closed we will be over 120. And dont look at me, i have enough =)

I fill a lot of growlers for friends as well. When I fill them (I dont use an extension tube) I turn the PSI's down to ~5 and fill the growler up. I also regulate the temperature of the growler beforehand by placing it in the keg fridge. This way I minimize any CO2 leaving the solution.... Might be a little overkill, but my friends keep growlers for almost 2 weeks (unopened) and don't have any issues!

I fill a lot of growlers for friends as well. When I fill them (I dont use an extension tube) I turn the PSI's down to ~5 and fill the growler up. I also regulate the temperature of the growler beforehand by placing it in the keg fridge. This way I minimize any CO2 leaving the solution.... Might be a little overkill, but my friends keep growlers for almost 2 weeks (unopened) and don't have any issues!

Yeah chilling the glass before hand helps out ALOT. Sometimes I rinse it out with sanitizer too, but that might be too anal.

Ever since I switched to Perlick faucets, I havent used a diptube. The inner dimension is too small for my old tube, and havent looked around for a new one yet.

Yeah chilling the glass before hand helps out ALOT. Sometimes I rinse it out with sanitizer too, but that might be too anal.

Ever since I switched to Perlick faucets, I havent used a diptube. The inner dimension is too small for my old tube, and havent looked around for a new one yet.

if you find one before I do let me know, I could use one for my perlicks as well.

Copyright - What do you use the smoked malt in?

I've never used it. :)

I might try to do a (somewhat simplified) version of this:
Here's a recipe from this month's BYO magazine. Guy won best of show with this out of over 800 entries. Looks pretty damn good to me (going to try it myself next go around). Thinking about replacing the Caravienne with 1# of Caramunich II and lowering the Munich II to 1#....

Randy Scorby’s Classic Rauchbier
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.053 FG = 1.014
IBU = 28 SRM = 13 ABV = 5.0%
Best of Show, AHA NHC (840 entries)

Ingredients
7 lb. 13 oz. (3.5 kg) Weyermann rauchmalz (smoked malt)
1 lb. 5 oz. (0.59 kg) Weyermann Pilsner malt
1 lb. 3 oz. (0.53 kg) Weyermann Munich Type II malt
12 oz. (0.34 kg) Weyermann Caravienne® malt
1.6 oz. (45 g) Weyermann dehusked Carafa® II malt
8 AAU Tettnanger hops (60 mins)
(2.0 oz./57 g of 4% alpha acids)
1.2 AAU Tettnanger hops (5 mins)
(0.3 oz./8.5 g of 4% alpha acids) Wyeast yeast nutrient (15 mins)
Wyeast 2633 (Oktoberfest Blend) yeast
(2 qt./2L yeast starter)

Step by Step
Single decoction mash schedule: Mash in at 132 °F (56 °C) and hold for ten minutes. Pull a thick decoction and boil it for 10 minutes. Return to main mash and hold at 154 °F (68 °C) for 40 minutes or until conversion is achieved. Recirculate until clear, fly sparge with 168 °F (76 °C) water and boil for 90 minutes. Chill wort and pitch yeast starter. Wort temperature should be no higher than 50 °F (10 °C) when pitched. A higher pitch rate is needed to compensate for low wort temperature. Ferment at 48 °F (8.9 °C) for 14 days or until desired FG is achieved. [Original extract efficiency = 70%. Three base malts adjusted proportionally.]

Which model perlick?

cidah, could you pm your address and who to make the check out too? ill get the check into the mail tomorrow

Seems like the days of people adding 20+ bags in a day are gone. Haha.

Cidah, want to do that swap with the golden promise you were talking about before? I'll take your half spot on split 8 and you sign up for a whole bag. Or do you want to wait?

I've been pretty busy lately so I haven't been following this thread too carefully. Should I send a partial payment to you, Cidah, now via snail mail or the electronic ways?

I'm still in the phase where I'm worried that people don't like my beer so we mostly drink it at home. Thus, kegs last quite a while which is generally fine by me. Drinking some kegged Apfelwein and Bee Cave Robust Porter right now. I'll probably bring some to a friend's place for the game on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong I really love my beer! It's much better than most commercial stuff. I'm just too busy to really enjoy it. I do have a couple kegs I brewed for the Super Bowl so I plan on drinking wayy too much Sunday!

Cidah, what's your process for filling growlers? I honestly have never tried it. I'm thinking I might have to start.

I only fill growlers for friends as they don't keep forever. But all I do is turn the gas down to like 3-5psi and fill right out of the tap. I let them foam over and seal with no head space. Works great!

My one buddy pretty much growlers up all his beer because he hates bottling.

Should I send a partial payment to you, Cidah, now via snail mail or the electronic ways?

You can send a partial or full payment now based on your estimate (se the amount by your name on the buy sheet). The goal is to transfer as little money as possible when we get to actuals. As I said before, if you are over or under by like $20 we can use paypal to shore up the $$ when the actual $$ come in. However if you are like $50 or more you will have to get me a check to avoid paypal issues.

Seems like the days of people adding 20+ bags in a day are gone. Haha.

Cidah, want to do that swap with the golden promise you were talking about before? I'll take your half spot on split 8 and you sign up for a whole bag. Or do you want to wait?

I didn't want to take up the split if anyone else was interested. So if anyone is interested in a Golden Promise Split speak up or forever hold your peace! :D

Jeff Let's give it a couple days before we swap it.

Cidah - what do you use Golden Promise in? I might be interested... I have more buckets to fill!

I actually have never used it but have heard a lot of people use it in ambers and pale ales for something unique.

Bierhaus uses it quite a bit from I remember : see post 384 for one of his recipes. He has told me other brews that use it as well. I sort of wanted to try it. Since it is a base malt I want to go back and do some pale ales, ipas etc. instead of 2row to get something a little different.

Hope that helps!

the description sure didn't:

Fawcett Golden Promise Golden Promise is a traditional Pale Ale Malt grown in Scotland. It produces sweet, mellow wort and is excellent for both
brewing and distilling.

-----------------
this is from the wiki

An early-maturing spring barley, it is the Scottish equivalent of Maris Otter. Though brewers north of the English border claim that its sweet, clean flavor is superior to Maris Otter. Golden Promise malt has a depth of flavor that makes it the ideal base malt for both UK and USA-style IPAs. Golden Promise is also used extensively by premium whisky distilleries such as The Macallan.

FYI all - I updated the "paid" sheet so it looks a little cleaner since we obviously are going for the 3rd pallet. You can check post #2 for an update to show when I have received your payment.

Order 6.jpg

Sounds like Golden Promise is worth a try. I added myself to the split if know one minds. If it complicates anything let me know. I have plenty of other stuff to play with this time around!

Sounds like Golden Promise is worth a try. I added myself to the split if know one minds. If it complicates anything let me know. I have plenty of other stuff to play with this time around!

Ha! I was just debating on adding a whole sack for myself instead of the split, but my budget is tight this month so I just bumped my part up to 0.75 to close it. 75% of a bag is easier to justify too.

And now I'm gonna ban myself from looking at this thread..... or I'm gonna keep buying stuff! Email me when you need me =)

Total Items: 117

Nobody minds here!

Worst case, if no one else is interested, I can pick up a total of .75 golden promise to close it out.

Between it looks like we need 10 bags to close out this order. Just a quick note since I see a lot of available splits. I know of some more bags coming in (might be today or in a week). Either way, if you are attached to any splits you might want to try to shore them up before more bags come in and the splits will get bumped out of this order. No pressure, just sayin' :D

Damn, was just gonna jump on that Golden split. I could go up to .5 if anyone wants to jump in. Go ahead and add it and us if anyone wants in. I'm on my phone until late tonight and am having trouble doing it.

Back