Syl-2352 boil control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tch1980

Reaction score
I'm having trouble controlling my boil in manual mode. I've searched and can't figure out how to slow my boil, I'm boiling off 2 gallons an hour and this is lowest I can seem to get. Any link or suggestions would help I am using a keggle with 5500 w element.

What percentage are you running in manual? I run 75 % in my 16 gallon kettle and 82 % in my 25 gallon kettle. My boil off is around 1.25 gallons for both.

I can take it to the lowest setting and it doesn't seem to change the amount of heat.

I changed the duty cycle to 1 but it still doesn't slow the boil. When the bottom green number is at 0 in manual it's still boiling just as hard is it possible the ssr is bad?

Yes I hit the manual button and the indicator light comes on and stays on until I turn back off manually.

It's very possible your SSR is fried. This happened to me a couple of times and the symptom was always what you described. I had to re-do all my connections to fix the problem.

I will check my values when I get off work. I know my pid values are default. A new ssr should be here in a day or so also. Geoffey did you have a wire crossed to make yours go bad?

I will check my values when I get off work. I know my pid values are default. A new ssr should be here in a day or so also. Geoffey did you have a wire crossed to make yours go bad?
they often overheat and fail if the proper heat paste is not used between them and the heatsink. sometimes they fail for no visible reason though...especially the cheaper fake foteks dold on ebay and amazon (although I have had good luck myself with them).

curious was the one that failed from auber? Those are marked up and rebranded magar brand ssrs and are usually good quality despite normally being a $10 ssr...

Here is the SSR that auberins sells, only with a heatsink and thermal grease included for $9 + $3shipping... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mager-Solid...853399?hash=item235b506f57:g:fqIAAOSw9mFWJzu~ notice the only difference is the color of the label.. The model number is the same (only your looking at over $35 with shipping (3x the markup over retail) from auberins for the same exact chinese products.) People seem to get bend out of shape that I share this info but I feel there nothing wrong with being an educated consumer.. If someone wants to spend 2-3 times more for the same stuff thats fine but they should know what they are buying and how much its really worth.

A bad ssr is easy enough to check with a light bulb or multimeter wired to it... When they fail they almost always get stuck on. Did yours ever work correctly?

after looking closer at the manual I did not have a "A" in front of my value. I hit manual mode, the light came on but I did not press "set" first. I'm feeling pretty dumb right now I just tested it and I'm able to control the output. A extra SSR laying around won't hurt though. Auggiedoggie I do have the paste behind it, and iijakii I guess I wasn't in manual mode. Thanks for everyone help.

Back