Swmbo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G. Cretin

Reaction score
Found this recipe and requested it so it got done a week ago. Feel free to laugh and point.
NOTE: she found it on the web and it had minimal info.

12lbs six row pale
2 lbs carapils
2 lbs crystal
2 oz Hallertau (60 and 15)
3 tbls garam masala

and then the guy at the LHBS said this would be better.
12 lbs six row pale
1 lbs carapils
1 lbs crystal
1 lbs 8 oz honey
2 oz Hallertau
1 oz sweet orange
3 tbls garam masala
I went with the 2nd version SWMBO through in some extra stuff like cardamom pods, corriander and cinnamon.
Corrected for miniscus and temp the OG was 1.078 1 wk later it was 1.018. It's going to secondary today. Any body have suggestions for next time on this one? How long should this one age since it had such a high OG and spice content?

8 weeks it is (rounding up). ANy ideas about grain or hop bill? how would you change it?

You could lose the 6-row for the same amount of 2-row since you're not really trying to convert many adjuncts. Unless you're bent on 6-row that is. The reason you would use 6-row is because it has a higher diastatic power than 2-row which means it can convert more starches into sugars. Like if you had a high amount of corn or rice or some other adjunct which cannot convert itself into sugar. The use of 6-row is not as popular as it once was since the diastatic power of modern, highly modified 2-row is generally good enough to get the job done.
Other than that I think the recipe looks delicious!

Thanx for the advise on the 2 row vs 6 row. When I did the 2nd gravity reading the beer smellled like cinamon and tasted a little to much like cinamon but I imagine it will mellow with age.

Latest posts

Back