SWMBO Made a HUGE Mistake !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me start this off right with a :mug: :ban: :rockin::D

Ok, now that that's out of the way.

SMWBO's Mistake of 2009 (and it's only March!)

We're driving to Wal-Mart last night to pick up eye hooks, hair dye for SWMBO, and other miscellaneous Wal-Mart purchases. We're going through the parking lot and she says, "I've been thinking, I would be ok with you taking the area between the shed and the neighbor's fence and doing whatever you wanted to with it for a like a little barn or something."
YES I say this outside while doing the fist out and tuck back to stomach. She says, with dread in her voice,"WHAT?!. I said you realize you just gave me the go ahead on a brewshed! haha I suppose you can guess her next words. HBT will blank them out so no point in typing them.

Now this isn't going to be any time soon, probably a year or two, but just the fact that I got the go ahead and it's not just a dream but a distant project is awesome! I'll start drawing it up in sketchup in the next month or so once I finish designing and building our patio.
i know it's now a Yuri or Ed thread with pics, but it's exciting for me. Hell maybe if I think about it I'll post a Build Site photo tomorrow Off to measure tonight. Dreaming begins.......NOW!

*edit* such excitement and my first non-dancing banana * boo

Awesome. My wife and I are planning to build a very long lean to shed across about 80 feet of our back fence for storage, parking the lawn equpment, etc. Little does she know I have about 15 feet of it designated for my own little brewshed.

As with you, it will be awhile, but can't wait.

Now get busy on yours, and post some pics so I can steal some ideas :mug:

Thanks for the support. Here are some Site pics along with some randoms of my dogs just now.
Future pics if any will only be google sketchup drawings of my ideas. I figure at minimum a year to 2 before this is a reality, but thats just time to save and plan it to exactly what I want. But don't expect to see progress shots here in this thread.

The Location to the left of the shed
100_6861.jpg

Close up. Area is 30ft from chain link fence to side of shed
100_6862-1.jpg

Lizzy Mutt
100_6867.jpg

Jack the Weim
100_6866.jpg

I don't have room for a dedicated brewshed on our lot, but it's a given that when it comes time to buy a NEW house, a separate outbuilding that can be converted is an absolute requirement. That, and a basement that both the dog can live in AND that can be converted into a bar space.

she says, "I've been thinking, I would be ok with you taking the area between the shed and the neighbor's fence and doing whatever you wanted to with it for a like a little barn or something."

what she MEANT: "I'm tired of looking at your junky stuff in MY house... move it OUTSIDE!"

Does this mean you will have to change your brewery name?
No it will remain to remind of my "roots"

Isn't that the mistake?
I had to say it, swmbo's a cosmetologist.;)
Yes, she does this between appts. Her old college roommate works for one of those rediculous high dollar salons and gives my wife cut and colors for the cost of the coloring, but she can't always make it up there especially with a 7month old. So she uses the wallyworld stuff to maintain her roots so she doesn't look like an average walmart shopper:) Her friend is coming this weekend and she knows she's going to get yelled at. But enough of this talk, my future brewshed thread has no room for discussing hair care :)

what she MEANT: "I'm tired of looking at your junky stuff in MY house... move it OUTSIDE!"
She could have meant, "You're an A-Hole, get out of here and take your stuff with you and live in the backyard. All I heard was, "You can have that space to do whatever.".:mug:

Watch out, that Wiem will pick the lock and drink all your beer while convincing the other one to lookout.

I see you have owned a weim as well.

Mine can be a sneaky little bastards.
To smart for it's own good and too dumb to learn from it's mistakes.

Never, NEVER admit on a public forum that you are a hen-pecked wuss taking orders from the wifey!
Your post "should" have read:

We're driving to Wal-Mart last night to pick up eye hooks, hair dye for SWMBO, and other miscellaneous Wal-Mart purchases. We're going through the parking lot and I said to her, "I've been thinking, I have been tolerating your feminine crap long enough. I am going to build a brewshed in the back yard whether you like it or not!" To which she sheepishly replied, "OK dear, anything for you."

Now, isn't that much better? Even if you are a wuss in real life, don't admit to it here. :D

Congrats Bro!!!

SWMBO and I are looking searching for a house to buy right now and room for a brewshed/house is secretly one of my criteria when searching.

Me outloud: Man it would be really nice to have a big backyard for our son to play in, maybe even get a dog!

Me in my head: Oh look, thats where I would put the brewhouse and oh look over there, thats where I would plant a hop garden!

IP,

Funny. I have a black & tan that is colored just exactly like your mutt, and SWMBO has a wime. Definately lock the brewshed up, the wime will be in there. They are wicked smart, but dumb as a sack of bricks at times.

Good luck on the brewshed.

the only time SWMBO goes to my brew area (garage) is to get her Fatboy out....... Not me the other Fatboy the Harley. I dont ask or wait for her Ok to do anything .... but then again I dont get much nookie either. Jeeze Irregular dont wuss up the Forum.

You do know I was j/k about the wuss stuff congrats .

Watch out, that Wiem will pick the lock and drink all your beer while convincing the other one to lookout.
I think mine is too stupid. Not really convinced he's a purebread. The weim behind us along with every other I've seen doesn't look like mine.

Never, NEVER admit on a public forum that you are a hen-pecked wuss taking orders from the wifey!
Your post "should" have read:

We're driving to Wal-Mart last night to pick up eye hooks, hair dye for SWMBO, and other miscellaneous Wal-Mart purchases. We're going through the parking lot and I said to her, "I've been thinking, I have been tolerating your feminine crap long enough. I am going to build a brewshed in the back yard whether you like it or not!" To which she sheepishly replied, "OK dear, anything for you."

Now, isn't that much better? Even if you are a wuss in real life, don't admit to it here. :D
You sound like a friend of, mine. You know the macho one who's been divorced multiple times and is now in a loveless marriage because of children because he's too cool to "ask permission". AS apposed to looking at it as mutual respect as you both work and own the property together. She does not control me by any means, but I will not be the type of husband who spends large amounts of money because I feel like it, to hell with SWMBO's input. I assume you are joking so I'll not get into a rant on this.

I tell my wife when I going to do somthing I dont ask.
Pat
I understand you are all very tough men and tell your wife what's going to happen instead of discussing things. I never said I asked permission for anything, although i would definitely ask for her input before a project of this scale for us. She mentioned me taking the space. i never thought of it. I was just planning on waiting until we added a garage bay. It's called respect, not being a wuss

the only time SWMBO goes to my brew area (garage) is to get her Fatboy out....... Not me the other Fatboy the Harley. I dont ask or wait for her Ok to do anything .... but then again I dont get much nookie either. Jeeze Irregular dont wuss up the Forum.

You do know I was j/k about the wuss stuff congrats .

I drew up a rough layout for building size and internal layout. Right now it's just a 20'x12'x8' box with a 92x60 cold room for one corner and a 60x20 block to represent a single tier brew stand for positioning purposes.

Front view minus wall
Brewhut1.jpg

Angled view to show entrance to cold room.
Brewhut2.jpg

Your right I'm a tough guy but not with my wife I dont have to be she's a very smart very beautiful very hard working woman I dont tell her what to buy or do and she does the same....And if that doesnt piss you off she loves craft beer.

Pat;);)

Make it bigger!!!! And at least six floors high.

Why?
1. That will make your shed look like a dog house + unlimited brewing space.
2. The bigger footprint, the less you lawn mowing you need to do....and then you will SAVE a lot of money (otherwise you might need to buy a new cool lawn mower). And since lawn mowers are quite pollutive you have some environmental arguments as well. Which would go good tomorrow as it is earth day.

My SWMBO is sharing my interests for the beer brewing, so she is ok for us (me) transforming parts of the garage to a tiled brew area. :)

Your right I'm a tough guy but not with my wife I dont have to be she's a very smart very beautiful very hard woking woman I dont tell her what to buy or do and she does the same....And if that doesnt piss you off she loves craft beer.

Pat;);)

SWMBO makes way more coin than I do .

This about sums up all us tough guys
mansong

Your right I'm a tough guy but not with my wife I dont have to be she's a very smart very beautiful very hard woking woman I dont tell her what to buy or do and she does the same....And if that doesnt piss you off she loves craft beer.

Pat;);)

I don't tell mine what to do and she doesn't tell me what to do. We discuss big purchases and projects out of respect. We each have our own money and we have a majority joint account. But I'd be pissed if she took a 20x12 spot in the backyard for an art room without talking about it with me. My wife is the same as your bold comment wich is exactly why I respect that the property belongs to both of us and is our to SHARE. Wait, how'd that word get into a converstaion involving marriage? Must be my vag showing:drunk:

But yes my wife loves craft beer and my beer as well.
But before this thread turns into my penis is big, I don't talk to my wife thread, I'm not going to comment anymore on those kind of posts. You can have the last post if it makes your weener grow.
I don't wanna argue with anyone here and I totally respect you as a fabricater Lehr, but we have different views on marriage and that's not what this thread is about.

IrregularPulse I was being sarcastic.. I am sure most if not all discuss things over prior to acting. Should have put some of these in there:D:D:D

I like the plans so far

IrregularPulse I was being sarcastic.. I am sure most if not all discuss things over prior to acting. Should have put some of these in there:D:D:D

I like the plans so far
I know yours were in good fun.
Any suggestions for layout are welcome.
My Priorities

Cold (really just temp controller) Room for fermenting/lagering as needed
Single Tier Electric brew with Vent Hood
Grain/hop/yeast storage
Miscellaneous equipment storage
2-3 seater couch with tv
Those are the important things I can think of.

I assume you are joking so I'll not get into a rant on this.

Hmmm..... I guess my big sarcastic :D:D:D presented in humorous fashion was overlooked. I didn't mean to twist your drawers or anything. Your assumption was correct, I was joking. As you know, my wife is Hispanic. The day I try to be Mr. Macho He-Man will be the day I am sitting alone under a bridge using a public wireless connection typing in a much higher voice!

i'd move the brew area closer to the cold room for easier transfer of liquids. put a dry well under for some drainage, a 55g drum outside would work, and a sink for cleanup.

then your left with more than half the space to put a tv and chairs/sofa in for comfort and bs sessions.

Hey I didn't mean to get your extremely large weener worked up into a frothy mess.

I guess I should have told you in my first post good luck on your build !

Pat

I know yours were in good fun.
Any suggestions for layout are welcome.
My Priorities

Cold (really just temp controller) Room for fermenting/lagering as needed
Single Tier Electric brew with Vent Hood
Grain/hop/yeast storage
Miscellaneous equipment storage
2-3 seater couch with tv
Those are the important things I can think of.

For your cold room, I'd consider figuring a way to have at least two zones for temperature control, that way you could, say, ferment an ale in one and lager a lager in another. Instead of a special room, it might be easier/more practical to get a couple large fridges or upright freezers that can hold two or three carboys and a couple temp controllers.

Then you can cover them with cool beer stickers!

Add a urinal. Every man-space needs a urinal. Not just to pee into, but to keep impressing upon the woman that men rule the universe solely because we don't have to sit down to take a squirt.

i'd move the brew area closer to the cold room for easier transfer of liquids. put a dry well under for some drainage, a 55g drum outside would work, and a sink for cleanup.

then your left with more than half the space to put a tv and chairs/sofa in for comfort and bs sessions.
I'll upload my latest rendition. Man Dreamin' is fun. It'll probably end up a shed to store my crap in while I remain brewing my cobbled together daily system. Dreams cost money. UNfortunately so do decks, patio, children, cars blah blah blah.

Add a urinal. Every man-space needs a urinal. Not just to pee into, but to keep impressing upon the woman that men rule the universe solely because we don't have to sit down to take a squirt.
Once again you and eriktlupus must be in my head.

5x3 temp controlled room and a 6x3 bathroom. Enough room for a toilet at one end and sink at the other. A Utility sink to the left of the brew rig.
A sheet metal backsplash behind brew rig located next to temp controlled room entrance. Should be able to pump from BK to CFC to carboy that will be on a shelf ~22" off the floor allowing me to siphon to my keg with never having to move the carboys while full.
Like I said before. It's fun dreaming, even more fun when it a future reality, even it it is distant future.

Brewhut2-1.jpg

y wife has several times suggested that I get a 12x12 kitted building for all my "Beer ****".

Too many other things need the money first. New windows and HVAC, wood floors, retaining wall for the backyard, new drive, etc......

It'd be nice but, for me it can wait.

y wife has several times suggested that I get a 12x12 kitted building for all my "Beer ****".

Too many other things need the money first. New windows and HVAC, wood floors, retaining wall for the backyard, new drive, etc......

It'd be nice but, for me it can wait.

In reality thats kinda of where I'm at. Several things will need big money ahead of this, but this is the first time she mentioned it. I'd always just planned on using my garage bay (one of the big future add ons) for all my brewing. But a 12/20 building for brewing on top of a second garage bay? hell yes. Granted I'll be 40 by then but...

I'll upload my latest rendition. Man Dreamin' is fun. It'll probably end up a shed to store my crap in while I remain brewing my cobbled together daily system. Dreams cost money. UNfortunately so do decks, patio, children, cars blah blah blah.

Once again you and eriktlupus must be in my head.

5x3 temp controlled room and a 6x3 bathroom. Enough room for a toilet at one end and sink at the other. A Utility sink to the left of the brew rig.
A sheet metal backsplash behind brew rig located next to temp controlled room entrance. Should be able to pump from BK to CFC to carboy that will be on a shelf ~22" off the floor allowing me to siphon to my keg with never having to move the carboys while full.
Like I said before. It's fun dreaming, even more fun when it a future reality, even it it is distant future.

Brewhut2-1.jpg

Looks sweet! Good point with the slop sink, then you don't need a urinal :D

I gave my buddy a urinal for a wedding gift and he installed it in a closet in his basement. It is AWESOME. The bathroom in my garage is around back :D

I tell my wife when I going to do somthing I dont ask.
Pat

That explains all the black and blue marks and lumps on your head, now I understand who wears the panties in the house. Sorry Patty i'm picking on ya.
I need more space for my crap not alone the brewery in the future.
I get the "what's this part going to cost?" . Well dump those marine 454 chebbie heads in storage (a set of 4 with 4 wet manifolds) that should allow for more brewing items as long as it does not come out of household money. Wife for sale cheap, damn no takers. Older model low mileage, cranky in the mornings. Wow off topic here sorry.

Your right I'm a tough guy but not with my wife I dont have to be she's a very smart very beautiful very hard working woman I dont tell her what to buy or do and she does the same....And if that doesnt piss you off she loves craft beer.

Pat;);)

Trade ya!
Na I got a good one the second time around, she flips out with my pack rat stuff everywhere with too many irons in the fire and a back that failed me. In Limpbo or limbo at the moment, well the last 6 months still on the mend.

Back