SWMBO has had it with my kitchen brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looneybomber

Reaction score
I think my joys of kitchen brewing are coming to a close. It wasn't the stain on the ceiling, the finish eaten off our countertops in the shape of circles, the cabinet space being taken up by pots and bottles, the bottles found drying in the oven and dishwasher, or leaving racking tubing in the oven for her to find via the smoke alarm. Nope. It was the trunk full of frozen groceries she couldn't put away due to the freezer being filled with frozen water bottles...and the fact that she needs to swap 2L bottles 3x a day for two weeks while I'll be gone (Oktoberfests must lager cold).

So, it's been a good run. Per her demands, I will now be finding a deep freeze, some restaurant (stainless steel) sinks, kegging equipment, and be converting over to AG in my garage.:rockin:

I went through the same thing and that gave me a reason to build my current brew rig. Mine went nuts when I attempted to bottle a tripel last year and I could not get a good siphon going and ended up with beer on ceiling and dining room walls.

I got kicked outside too, and I don't have the equipment to brew outdoors :( . For her it was the smell not the mess. I made damn sure it was all cleaned up before she got home.

If you get kicked outside then all you need is a turkey fryer kit and then you're in business. Thats how I started. Now im brewing 10 gal AG batches on my current rig. So im glad I got the boot from the kitchen.

I actually like using a turkey fryer much better than a stove. I think you'll be glad you got kicked to the garage.

Get another fridge and the ice deal is done. I cook in the kitchen, I don't make any beer stew there. The funny thing is, I live here without my girlfriend.

Take advantage, its time to buy new equipment for outside brewing and she can't get pissed b/c it was her idea. 15 gal pot, a burner, larger cooler, and anything else you need. Take advatage you may not get another window as good as this one.:)

She did the same thing to me when I was slowly working on getting some home theater equipment together. The speakers I picked out were too small. She wanted the center to be as wide as the TV. I took advantage of it and also upgraded my sub from 1, 12" to 5, 15" with a 2kW pro amp. I just need to get a 220v circuit run for it.

I'm looking on Craigslist for a deep freeze to turn into a keezer, I have two 15gal kegs and would actually like to use them as kegs and not keggles. I'm just waiting for good deals/sales on things, where-as she keeps on looking at new items. Those price tags give me shell shock.

SWMBO = She Wants Me Brewing Outside. :D
Second best thing I ever did. The best thing was marrying her.

-a.
ROTFL!!!!

I got kicked out months ago also. I went from PM's to AG :mug: much happier. The walmart turkey fryer works great. Convert a big igloo and the rest is all the same. Except for the fact I can use the BBQ/smoker, have a cigar and go swimming while I brew :ban: here is my setup.

I would thank your wife, buy her something nice and buy yourself a few items to go AG outdoors and be happy!

I brew at someone else's house. My freezer is also full of ice bottles because we do a lot of hiking.

Can't wait till we buy a house in 2 years. I'm trying to put away $15-20k to upgrade the kitchen in whichever place we decide to settle. The focus is a 20,000 BTU stovetop with some granite countertops. Chest freezer and all that.

Maybe I should consider just upgrading the garage.

Can't wait till we buy a house in 2 years. I'm trying to put away $15-20k to upgrade the kitchen in whichever place we decide to settle. The focus is a 20,000 BTU stovetop with some granite countertops. Chest freezer and all that.

I would highly recommend looking for the 3 car garage, take one bay to make a "brew cave", leave a cigar burning and there will be no interruptions from SWMBO.

This way you can also tinker to get a more permanent setup in place. Less setup /tear down time. much better...take it from someone with a one car garage...my motorcycle barely fits in, brewing is done on the back porch after 10 back and forth runs from garage to deck. This winter I may throw caution to the wind and brew in the driveway, why not let the neighbors know I will be drinking great brew in a few weeks. :drunk:

I got kicked outside too, and I don't have the equipment to brew outdoors :( . For her it was the smell not the mess. I made damn sure it was all cleaned up before she got home.

That's my strategy- always leave the kitchen cleaner after a brew day than it was at the beginning of brew day. That, and don't comment when she accidentally lets the rice boil over onto the cook top.

I was kicked out of the kitchen after my first brew session. My wife came home after I just started chilling the wort. "UGH! What is that awful smell?" followed by my 2 daughters saying the same thing. My then 7-year old son came in the house, smelled it, and said, "That's smells awesome, what is it?". Can you guess which of the above I'll keep if push comes to shove? ;-)

My wife got sick of me having boil overs on the stove . . . . which made it easier for me to explain why i "needed" to get a 3 tier system from morebeer. Then, when we built our new house 12 years ago, I explained what a good idea it would be to have a room in the basement (walkout basement, open in the back) that I could use as a "brewroom." That way, the garage would not be such a mess, and I would not have brewstuff piled up everywhere. She thought it was a great idea - Tile floor, floor drain, window to the outside, vent fan, big double sink, natural gas hook up for the brew system, etc. Always use these situations as "opportunities." :)

Mine kicked me out b/c of the smell. I thought it smelled delicious, she.....not so much. Now I brew outside using my propane burner. I now have 2 outdoor brews under my belt.

Mine kicked me out of the kitchen, so I went to the basement with electric kettles. Smell still bothers her, but I try to brew in the early morning on weekends (she sleeps in) and am working on better ventilation.

My wife got sick of me having boil overs on the stove . . . . which made it easier for me to explain why i "needed" to get a 3 tier system from morebeer. Then, when we built our new house 12 years ago, I explained what a good idea it would be to have a room in the basement (walkout basement, open in the back) that I could use as a "brewroom." That way, the garage would not be such a mess, and I would not have brewstuff piled up everywhere. She thought it was a great idea - Tile floor, floor drain, window to the outside, vent fan, big double sink, natural gas hook up for the brew system, etc. Always use these situations as "opportunities." :)

Apparently if we inherit the folk's lake house in Wisconsin...I get to turn the giant rec room in the basement (walk out basement like yours) into my brewing facility.

...**** I could fit a giant brewery sized conical in there. Plenty of ventilation too, one side of the room is all giant windows.

I brewed outside from the start since we have a really spacious enclosed porch (with screening to allow airflow). I tried brewing inside once and it was Hell. Water took forever to heat up and brew time took 4 times as long. I brew out on the porch now and things are much better.

Turkey Fryer FTW.

I prefer brewing outside, and I don't have half the stuff many do. Just a fermentation chamber, refrigerator, good pot, propane burner and a fold up table for staging ingredients and equipment. In the garage, she must obey me, and she doesn't come out there much.

THIS.

Mine does not enjoy the smell, so I'm on thin ice until I set up outside.

Mine kicked me out of the kitchen, so I went to the basement with electric kettles. Smell still bothers her, but I try to brew in the early morning on weekends (she sleeps in) and am working on better ventilation.

Now you see, my wife loves the smell... "its like caramel candy... " exact words. dont hate me.. ;)

I am gonna try brewing in the garage during the winters.. the summers now i have a setup outside... but winters get cold and i'd need a space heater for sure... unless my turkey fryer produces enough heat...

Brewed outside exactly once. Hated it. All of my stuff is in the basement stored neatly, so I ended up running in and out of the house 100x for stuff I forgot, then had to lug it all back downstairs. I like brewing right where all of my equipment is. Garage isn't big enough and is detached. No place to store stuff, not very clean, no insulation, etc. Basement just made more sense for me.

Brewed outside exactly once. Hated it. All of my stuff is in the basement stored neatly, so I ended up running in and out of the house 100x for stuff I forgot, then had to lug it all back downstairs. I like brewing right where all of my equipment is. Garage isn't big enough and is detached. No place to store stuff, not very clean, no insulation, etc. Basement just made more sense for me.

I know the feeling but.... you know those buddies that show up and drink you brew?... invite a few over on brew day. Some of my buds show up right on schedule... Inside i like to brew by my self.. but outside I invite some friends..

I brew indoors on the gas stove and my wife always complains about the smell. She still hasn't kicked me out yet because she is cheap and doesn't want to spend money on a propane burner when the stove works. Fingers crossed I will get the boot soon because I am sure a propane burner will cut almost an hour off brew day.

Well, I went those stages with the "Old Bat".
Started with extract on stove, 3 batches in,didn't make it to 4. She "Deep Six" that idea.
Moved outside in the spring and all-grain.4 batches "Hated IT". To much mother nature.
Spent that fall and winter saving $$ and went electric.Moved things in basement.And now I'm golden.Love it..
She doesn't like the wash&dryer in crammed in the corner. But so far so good.At least I'm hitched to this wagon

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/woman-takes-her-beer-very-seriously-341799/

Mine kicked me out b/c of the smell. I thought it smelled delicious, she.....not so much. Now I brew outside using my propane burner. I now have 2 outdoor brews under my belt.

THIS.

Mine does not enjoy the smell, so I'm on thin ice until I set up outside.

Now you see, my wife loves the smell... "its like caramel candy... " exact words. dont hate me.. ;)

I am gonna try brewing in the garage during the winters.. the summers now i have a setup outside... but winters get cold and i'd need a space heater for sure... unless my turkey fryer produces enough heat...

I brew indoors on the gas stove and my wife always complains about the smell. She still hasn't kicked me out yet because she is cheap and doesn't want to spend money on a propane burner when the stove works. Fingers crossed I will get the boot soon because I am sure a propane burner will cut almost an hour off brew day.

Mine says it smells like rabbit food.

Mine kicked me out after batch number 2. It was a great thing.

Oh, hai! :fro:

Started extract in the kitchen. Got some complaints about smell, but the worst thing was everyone just had to need something in the kitchen while I was brewing. I kicked MYSELF out to the garage and have never been happier since!

My SWMBO says it smells like a wet ferret rolling around in warm grape nuts. So after about 8 batches, I finally got my propane burner in the garage. Just brewed Saturday.
If you're a stove top guy, you really should consider a burner. Not sure what I'll do in the dead of winter, but for now, it's much better. You can order a burner for $50...and when you fire it up and it sounds like a jet engine with blue flame coming out a couple inches, you know you'll be boiling a lot faster.

I get the feeling that mine is getting ready to just plain ole' kick me out! Something about loving my homebrew hobby more than her, mumbling hops schedules in my sleep, etc...

OClairBrew said:
Fingers crossed I will get the boot soon because I am sure a propane burner will cut almost an hour off brew day.

I can do a BIAB batch In 3.5 hrs which is only a little more than an extract batch would take me on the stove. I love brewing outside with my propane burner.

Get yourself a bayou classic, pull out the burner and replace it with the 100k btu burner from agri supply.

You'll have that kettle boiling in less than 20 min

Back