Switching to eBIAB and need help deciding on Kettle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpolzin25

Reaction score
So I am in the process of switching to electric brew in a bag and am wondering whether I go w/ the 11 gallon Bayou classic or the 15 gallon bayou classic. I am actually going to have Bobby at Brewhardware put the kettle together for me (was going to convert my current 11 gallon bayou classic to electric but don't want to bother w/ all the drilling into steel if I don't have to).

So I mostly do 5 gallon all-grain batches using a mash tun now but will be doing a recirculating eBIAB rig soon. So my question is do I stick w/ the 11 gallon size or do I upgrade to the larger kettle size of 15 gallons? My main concern w/ going with the 15 gallon kettle is whether its too big for brew in a bag or if it will work just fine and of course the opposite concern w/ the 11 gallon. Thanks for your help.

Looks like the cost difference is like $10.

I would go with the 15 gal, i regularly do biab in a 25 gallon pot and it works great.

15 gal all the way. I started with a 6 gal extract, moved to a 10 gal pot. Ended up with a couple of over-flows. Then moved recently to 15 gal. Never going back!

I just switched to eBIAB for my 5 gallon setup. I went with a 15 gallon kettle, and glad I did. No issues with too little liquid to cover the element or too much grain that it overflows.

Personally I'd go with a 20 gal. You can still do your 5 gal batches but with a 20 gal kettle 10-12 gal batches are possible as well.

Brewers hardware has 20 gallon kettles that are narrow and taller than normal. They will weld fittings in custom locations too.

Latest posts

Back