Switching power between elements/PIDs possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at Menards (home depot like store) and saw the 4500W ultra low density elements (less than 50W per sq inch) that were straight. I think the 5500W ULD elements have to be rippled to have enough square inches. The 4500W ones were bent back on themselves, and black like the other ULD elements.
You have a non-rippled 4500w ULD element? How long is it? I have this 4500w ULD made by Camco and it is rippled and 13" long. If it were straightened out, (but still doubled over) it would be 16-17" long. How long is the Menards 4500w ULD? If it were built with the same material as the Camco, I would think that it would be too long for our use. Or is ther more than 1 element on the unit?

lrr81765, are you using 20a 4-way switches? A 4500w element will draw 20.45a at 220v. I am assuming that the extra .45a would be within tolerance for these switches? When wiring a circuit, does the 80% rule apply to switches, or just wiring/breakers?

Rhino

I found a 4500w "Lime Life: LIFETIME Warranty ( this is a big plus for me :) ) ULD @ Home Depot today. It is by AO Smith, with Camco noted as well. It says ok for dry fire and operation in sand, and is doubled over.

It's total length is 13" and was $20.

I have 20a DPDT switches. I have 240 in my garage, so it is at 18.75a.

EDIT: It looks the same as the ones on this page, but has # 15184

Well to post from a thread a while back about why would you have two PIDs, well basically, if I want to brew multiple brew sessions back to back, I will need 2 PIDs. I tried to do it on big brew and what could have been about 6-7 hours ended up being 9 hours! But I have 2 rockin beers in the fermenter.

Second, I have a 4500w Low Density element and have no problems. No scorching, perfect timing and dirt cheap. I would go with the ULD but I havent had any problems with mine. I have a 3800w in my HLT and a 4500w in my BK. I work in a hardware store and we only stock low density.

Yes, the two PIDs do help in that situation. Pretty rare for a lot of us.

Also, the need to step up to 40a service ( 4500+3800/220=37.8), the additional cost of the wiring (#8 ?) and hardware, just didn't justify the once or twice a year that I might do that.

Since it is getting easier, and I can soon DO THINGS on the honey do list while brewing, I figure brewing more often offsets those.

Yes, the two PIDs do help in that situation. Pretty rare for a lot of us.

Also, the need to step up to 40a service ( 4500+3800/220=37.8), the additional cost of the wiring (#8 ?) and hardware, just didn't justify the once or twice a year that I might do that.

Since it is getting easier, and I can soon DO THINGS on the honey do list while brewing, I figure brewing more often offsets those.

Larry, you need to get me an order, unless you plan to take a chance on first come, first serve overruns on the 8th and 9th. If so, that is cool, you will probably clean it all up!

You have a non-rippled 4500w ULD element? How long is it? I have this 4500w ULD made by Camco and it is rippled and 13" long. If it were straightened out, (but still doubled over) it would be 16-17" long. How long is the Menards 4500w ULD? If it were built with the same material as the Camco, I would think that it would be too long for our use. Or is ther more than 1 element on the unit?

lrr81765, are you using 20a 4-way switches? A 4500w element will draw 20.45a at 220v. I am assuming that the extra .45a would be within tolerance for these switches? When wiring a circuit, does the 80% rule apply to switches, or just wiring/breakers?

Rhino

There's one linked in the previous post, and another linked after. They could just have a slightly larger diameter so thus more surface area. I don't plan on dry firing but it is nice. The low density elements are also just fine. I don't know if in a really thick wort if they'd be more likely to scorch (I'm planning a brew with an OG of 1.162 later this summer)

I found these switches at a nearby supplier. Although I was going to purchase the 20a DPST levitron household switches, could I not use the 4-Pole ON-ON switch as a DPST by not connecting the one output side?

switches.jpg

These would look a lot cleaner on the front panel, and I can purchase waterproof boot covers for them. From the pictures, it looks like these switches are rated for 20a at both 250v and 125v, so they should be suitable, no?

Back