Switches and pump !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
I want to wire 2 switches to my pump and exhaust hood. I plan on using a standard outlet, plug each load into it, wire 2 switches and put the whole thing in a small project box. It will then be plugged to my wall using an extension cord. I found this diagram on how to wire a switch. Pretty easy to do but if i want to add my second switch, can i splice the incoming power and run a white and black wire to the 2 bottom screws of the outlet ? I will also break the tab on the hot side...btw, the extension cord will be plugged in a gfci outlet in the wall

image.jpg

The easiest way to do this is to use three conductor wire used for a three way light switch. It will have the standard white, black and ground with an additional red wire. Simply use the red wire the same way as the black one in your diagram. You can also use one outlet by breaking off the tab next to the screws on the black side and connect the red wire to the second screw. Make sure you leave the tab on the white side intact so that you only need one wire going to that side. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: Since you want to place this in a project box, instead of getting three conductor wire, just use an extra length of black wire in place of the red mentioned above.

So by using a 3 conductor wire, i wire the red one to the switch and connect it to the bottom screw of the hot side ?

If you already have the wire, then I would skip the three conductor wire.

Using your diagram above, get a second switch and wire the source black wire to one side of both switches using a jumper wire. Then run a black wire from the other side of each switch to the hot side (brass screw) of your outlet breaking the tab between the screws.

Now you will have the source white wire going directly to your outlet to the neutral side (silver screw) without breaking the tab. On the other side of your outlet, you will have two wires, one from each switch while braking the tab in the middle to separate the receptacles.

p_SCW_187_03.jpg

NP. You could probably even use a three gang box from your local hardware supply and use an electrical cover plate for a clean simple one stop solution.

Save yourself some time and get a couple of these:
ivory_combination_toggle_switch_outlet_lev_5225_i__77486.1365035158.1280.1280.jpg

Use a double outdoor or a 4"x4" indoor electrical box.

Find an extension cord you don't like anymore and cut the outlet end off and you it.

'da Kid

Why it bobby?

Only certain specific types of motors like their voltage and/or frequency messed with.

Your common pump is usually not one of them.

Throttling is the way to go on a centrifugal pump. It's actually recommended. Too much flow is hard on a pump motor. Pumps like some 'head'.

'da Kid

Back