Swiss-type Cheese recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Looking for a recipe for a good Swiss-type cheese and I have a couple of questions.
1. I see some recipes on Youtube that suggest the use of mesophilic ic cultures but aren't emmentaler cheeses not all thermophilic (the cooking temps are above 125 F)?
2. To maintain the more buttery/sweeter flavors do I need to wash the curds (replace about 1/2 or more of the whey with water)?
Thanks.

I've made the Jarlsberg in Ricci Carroll's book 3 times. One time the dog stole and buried it, one time fruit flies ravaged it. And one time, it was really good. I did not get good eye formation, not sure why as the knit and cheese texture were great. Maybe I'll make another one this weekend - my success rate is abysmal lol

Adding Flora Danica culture to milk will get you the flavor you're going for.

Last edited:
Flora Danica. Thanks for that suggestion. My wife says that she is not really interested in the eyes but she is looking for a good buttery flavor. I typically use kefir from my kefir grains to culture the milk, so I don't have a battery of isolated cultures. I don't think that my grains have any Flora Danica so that is something I need to buy.

Flora Danica. Thanks for that suggestion. My wife says that she is not really interested in the eyes but she is looking for a good buttery flavor. I typically use kefir from my kefir grains to culture the milk, so I don't have a battery of isolated cultures. I don't think that my grains have any Flora Danica so that is something I need to buy.

Yesterday evening I made a Jarlsberg with some old Flora Danica I had in the freezer. It's brining now. Fingers crossed.

Back