Swirling the Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red_beard

Reaction score
I just read an article about making Mead, and it suggested swirling/agitating the trub in the fermenter to release CO2 and help yeast to continue the process. Just wondering if any one has ever tried this with beer , and if it was helpful/harmful?

I just read an article about making Mead, and it suggested swirling/agitating the trub in the fermenter to release CO2 and help yeast to continue the process. Just wondering if any one has ever tried this with beer , and if it was helpful/harmful?

i do it all the time. seems to help finish out bigger beers and saisons that crash if the temp drops overnight

"Rousing" is a common practice, particularly with bigger beers, but also with recalcitrant yeast strains.

I had always chalked the benefit up to simply re-suspending the yeast; this is the first I've read of someone claiming it's because the CO2 content is reduced in the offing...

Cheers!

Just an update, I just agitated my fermenter, which had stopped actively bubbling at least a week ago. The air lock is now bubbling again, not aggressive bubbling but a bubble every couple minutes. I will keep an eye on it and see how it does

Latest posts

Back