sweetening wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauritsen

Reaction score
I like to back sweetening wine. But what is the correct order or things.

Do I add potassium sorbate before fining or do I use bensonite first, then potassium sortabe and campden at same time and after it has had an hour or so to mix well, then back sweeten?

I like to back sweetening wine. But what is the correct order or things.

Do I add potassium sorbate before fining or do I use bensonite first, then potassium sortabe and campden at same time and after it has had an hour or so to mix well, then back sweeten?

None of the above.

First, the one must be finished and completely clear and no longer dropping ANY lees at all after at least 60 days after fining.

Once it's been 60 days without any new lees, and it remains totally clear, it can be racked onto a solution of sorbate and campden and let that sit a few days. After a few days, if the solution remains clear at that point, it can be sweetened to taste. That should sit at least 3 days, hopefully longer, to ensure no further fermentation occurs, and if it remains without any lees at all and remains clear, then it can be bottled.

Back