Sweetening, check my math please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_al

Reaction score
My 3rd batch of wine and I want to sweeten it some this time.

27g of sugar per serving 6 servings per can for AJ concentrate.

5.7 oz of sugar per can.
20oz of sugar will raise it .0100 per 5 gallons.

So I need 3.5 cans of AJ concentrate for .0100 boost correct? Do any of my numbers look crazy?

Made an apple wine it's around 10.5% fermented it dry my plan is to stabilize and sweeten it to around 1.010 maybe a bit less to make it just barely sweet.

Adding 20 oz of sugar and adding 3.5 cans of juice aren't precisely the same, since you're also adding liquid volume with the juice.

from what i was able to find, 20 oz of sugar will raise it by .0100, so the aj has roughly 5.7 oz of sugar per can going by the label, which i know is not hard and fast fact wise.

so 3.5 cans equals about 20 oz of sugar plus extra apple flavoring ect. or will i just overly water down things using this much aj concentrate with an already low %?

Your numbers look good to me. Considering your increased volume, your gravity should go up by 0.010 (10 points). I believe 20 oz sugar in 5 gallons would raise gravity by 0.011. The increased volume will drop your ABV to just below 10%.

Thank you GinKings, the drop is acceptable this is for a party, we intend to drink my brew instead of shelling out 100 dollars each for onsite brew. I may use less AJ concentrate as i don't want to make it very sweet since it will be sipped all day.

something to keep in mind is that grams translate almost directly in to points if you move the decimal. Example 1 pound per gallon makes a reading of 1.045. There are 453g in 1 pound so basically moving the decimal or dividing the g by 10000 will get you there, as long as you realize it is points above 1

450 g = 1.045
750g = 1.075 and so on.

Way easier than converting to oz and doing a bunch of other calculations to end up at the same basic place.

If you want to be more accurate take the g and divided by 10079.77, but that takes having to stop and actually do some math rather then simply moving a decimal point, and it is not that much different from the easy answer

lets say your gallon has 780g going the easy way gives an answer of 1.078 and doing it the accurate way makes it 1.0774. I personally am not concerned about 6/10000 :) :)

ahh thats very handy i will add that to my collection of notes and avoiding math is great i was never real great at it so i just triple check every thing.

3 cans and it came out at 1.008 and it tastes perfect, aged it some more bottled a case and the other half was taken to a Renaissance festival in gallon jugs and shared immediately. its a panty dropper lol. just sweet enough to be very easy to drink and the alcohol is pretty mild and subdued tasting.

Latest posts

Back