Sweet Tea Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefPepperoni

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

It’s been a hot minute for me! But, I’ve decided to pull out my carboy and have some fun!!!

I was gifted some beer kits recently and thought I would make a Pilsner!

Right now my plan is to substitute the water for a batch of sweet tea. The sweet tea recipe is pretty simple. Tea, pineapple juice, orange juice & lemonade concentrate and sugar.

Is this a good idea or a terrible idea! All thoughts, suggestions and telling me I’m crazy are welcome Ha

I don't know if it's a good idea or a terrible one, but I don't think it's going to look or taste much like a pilsner.

Is this All Grain or Extract? If All Grain, I would be concerned about where mash pH is going to land using tea for water.

If I wanted to add the flavors you listed, here's how I would probably do it:

Tea: Either cold steeped and added just before packaging, or "dry tea'd." Or add at flameout.
Pineapple Juice/Orange Juice/Lemonade: Added to secondary
Sugar: Don't bother, unless you are simply trying to boost ABV without building body to go with it. The sugar will just ferment out and not add any sweetness. For that matter, so will the sugars in the Pineapple Juice/Orange Juice/Lemonade, but at least they will also be adding flavors.

I'm not so sure a Pilsner would work as a base beer. I'd try something a bit more balanced on the malty side, like a kölsch, or a helles. I could be wrong though.

@VikeMan is right, your sugars are just going to ferment out. So if a refreshing and drinkable beer is what the goal is, go easy on the fermentables or you're going to have a high ABV.

Back