sweet-syruppy taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
On a couple recent batches, I've had a similar off-taste during bottle-conditioning (sampling my one per week). The first beer was a relatively sweet blond that used honey-so I thought that might have something to do with it. But the more recent Alt has it too, and I'm just trying to figure out what I'm tasting. On the blond, it mellowed eventually. I'm just curious because the ingredients were very different, including the yeast (London Ale, and European Ale; Wyeast and WLP).

It's a sweet taste, slight butterscotch, but mainly just sweet...it has a similar aroma. Basicly the off-taste hits you, then gives way to the intended taste of the beer, then it finishes clean. Weird because other 'green beer' I've had mainly has a lingering bitterness, whereas with this, it's mainly a 'beforetaste' if that makes any sense.

Both beers were brewed above recommended temps (upper 70s at least). I think it may be some kind of ester, but I wouldn't call it banana. Just wondering if this sounds familiar..trying to get my nose and tongue to recognize what's going on.

I had that problem in my last batch of mild. Up front was a slightly 'sour' but not unpleasant taste that almost disappeared immediately and the beer came through and ended with a good finish. I posted here and everyone just said it was green. That was a week ago so I'm gonna try one tonight and see how it comes out.

It could be the fermentation temps. If you're tasting some butterscotch that is a flavor that comes through when you start to get in the upper 70's.

upper 70's I'd call the the butterscotch flavor of diacetyl.

could also be fruity esters. some are banana like, others are clove like, still others are best described as 'Juicy Fruit' gum which sorta sounds like your situation.

It sounds like diacetyl to me. That's your classic butter/butterscotch flavor and aroma. You may also have a slightly (or not so slightly) slick mouthfeel.

Often, the high temperatures allow the yeast to metabolize the diacetyl, but you may have racked off the yeast before it had a chance to do so. In time, the residual yeast may take that stuff back up, so it can fade with time.

In the future, try to leave your beer in the primary for an extra day or so to give a diacetyl rest. The yeast will make diacetyl during fermentation, but they won't start taking back up until the fermentation is done.

Also, esters don't have to be like banana, but they usually are fruity. Many esters (or combinations of esters) make me think of Juicy Fruit gum. Sometimes, it's more like cotton candy or even bubble gum. It depends on the yeast strain, fermentation conditions, and a bunch of other things (including how they interact with the other things in the beer).

TL

Thanks-sounds like esters and/or diacytyl. Cotton candy/juicy fruit sounds pretty close. As I mentioned, the 1st batch ended up fine, so I'm not worried. I put the Alt in the fridge, so I'm thinking another few weeks in the cold should hopefully do the trick.

Back