Sweet campfire milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Brewing either this or next weekend depending on when I get to the brew store. Wanted something seasonal but then was looking at the calendar and looked like by the time I got to the end of the batch they’d be shelved for fall ales. So trying something that can be a great campfire dessert and leftovers will go well with my beloved fall beers as well.

Here’s my grist so far and recipe so far.

Partial mash at 150

1.25 qts per a pound this should just barely fit my 4 gallon kettle. Might reduce water to 1qt BIAB or just go with the above plan on top mashing

Might top mash the roasted grains which could be a great way to save on water and space.

No chill partial boil time and energy saving special haha

4lbs 2 row
4lbs light dme
.5lbs flaked barley
.75 lbs chocolate
.5lbs 20L caramel
1lbs lactose

Calculated lovibond 30

Extract at bottling

Expected og according to brewers friend 1.065 (sans the lactose since it’s included it as fermentable)
Expected final 1.018

Abv 6.1% looking for about 6.

Yeast either US05 or Nottingham because I haven’t tried either but want to try it. This will be my first brew with temp control. I’ll decide on an official temp later but thinking 68-70 range

Not set on hops but thinking magnum at 60. Any other suggestions welcome.

2lbs dme at 20
2lbs dme at 15
Lactose at 10min

Thoughts? Am I on the right track? Probably only done about 9-10 brews

Just an update on this fire thread…. Because there’s a few things I think are interesting regardless of the response level lol.

Went with

3.3 lme
1 dme
4 2 row
.5 20L
.5 flaked barley
.75 chocolate.

Looks super dark but that’s in the fermenter

Mashed at 155 on induction burner

Here’s where things weren’t as planned…. BIAB busted open and sparging was… interesting. Luckily it was an outdoor brew so clean up was easy. Boil was tepid at best I swear my burner was stronger than that. My tubing had mold so transferring is let’s hope oxygenation isn’t too bad

Dumped into my cube and all in all poured into the fermenter and pitched saf-04 currently at 66.

In a recent move I yesterday discovered I don’t know what happened to my hydrometer so no OG today…

Anyway in a good 6-8 weeks I’ll let y’all know how it taste.

Ok update. More went wrong lol. If this batch doesn’t get ruined I’m convinced beer is invincible.

Anyway mold all over the fermentation chamber. Fermenter was sealed and nothing in there so I hope it was all ok. Took forever to transfer and while I Star saned everything still worried about the state of affairs.

Did taste test it. Seemed pretty smooth pretty good. Not roasty though. But it’s always hard to tell with flat warm beer. I’ll be back in 2 weeks.

damn i just clicked this thread to see a smoked stout!

i'd think smoked malt would be a must for a campfire brew!

edit: and you just gave me an idea for extract brewers to hear....use a pressure cooker with a layer of smoking wood, and a tube from the vent to bubble through your LME.....?

Almost did. But decided against it at the last minute because I hear too much about over/under smoking and this was a partial mash. Just bought a new system so I’ll be all grain for now on. I have a great love of sweet boozy stouts that I call “night night beers” so I’m sure I’ll go for it soon lol.

Almost did. But decided against it at the last minute because I hear too much about over/under smoking and this was a partial mash. Just bought a new system so I’ll be all grain for now on. I have a great love of sweet boozy stouts that I call “night night beers” so I’m sure I’ll go for it soon lol.

i've done a couple smoked beers....kinda rough at first but for mine they'd smooth out a lot with age and become realy sweet...still smoky, but sweet smoky...if that makes sense?

i've done a couple smoked beers....kinda rough at first but for mine they'd smooth out a lot with age and become realy sweet...still smoky, but sweet smoky...if that makes sense?
Yes. If you ever get a chance to drink Clown Shoes undead party crasher do it right away.

Back